PDA

View Full Version : Stone Plover

Goutham Dikshith
30-09-2010, 04:55 PM
my second upload .... and also ... this is the first bird i photographed in the wildlife section . This beauty was spotted in ranganthittu, Mysore

specifations :
camera model : Nikon L110 ( 15x hand held compact )
Aperture : F/5.4
Shutter Speed : 1/150 sec
ISO 80
comments and critiques welcomed

Mrudul Godbole
30-09-2010, 08:49 PM
The eye contact is nice. You could have used a bit narrower aperture. The light looks a bit harsh. There are some highlights on the rock (lost details), you can try to recover them. The details look good. Look forward to more from Ranganathittu. Thanks for sharing.

Bibhav Behera
30-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I like the composition. The patterns in the background look appealing. So, what Mrudul has said is right that you should have used a narrower aperture to get it in focus as well. I like the pose and eye contact. The highlights can be reduced further as they distract in a few places.

Aperture controls the amount of light that falls on the sensor via the lens. When you constrict the aperture, the amount of light that falls on the sensor reduces. You can relate that to the pupil of our eye being smaller in daylight and dilated at night. It is dilated to allow more light to come in while in daylight one doesn't need so much light.
what matters here is that with a wide aperture,the depth of field (zone of sharpness and focus) becomes lesser. So when we want more depth of field we use a narrower aperture.

I believe in your camera, you don't have a mode where you can control the aperture explicitly. So what I can suggest is that when you want a narrower aperture, try using the landscape mode in your camera. That will help you get higher depth of field, although at the cost of a lesser shutter speed.

Hope this helped. In case of any doubts, do post in the photography tips section and members will be glad to respond.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I checked the specs of this camera. F 5.4 is the minimum aperture that is available in this camera and f3.5 is the widest. I was under the impression that f8 would possible in this camera, however it seems he has used f5.4 which is the narrowest aperture possible.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi