PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bird Valley.

Satishchandra Ranadive
10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Dear Friends,
From Pune city about 35kms.in Pimpari-Chinchwad area, there was a stone-mine long backand was not in use since many years.Exact location by google-earth will be postedsoon.
This stone mine is full of water.Recently (few years) it has been converted in to a spot called as "Bird Valley".
This has got 17 hector of area.Around the water body jogging path of 2kms has made.At places nicely maintained
lawn is there,which is favourite place for yellow and white wagtails in winter.Beside that it has got boating etc,recreation for people.
The disadvantage is that many sp. of birds like painted storks,fish eagles,shirkas,and some time it was a place (occasionally) for Black storks.
Thes birds are not been sighted since last two years.
Occasionally Shirka may be seen.Many ducks like Whistling ducks do come there,just for short period,(10-20 min.).
Attached is picture of bird valley,which shows patr of lawn.

Sabyasachi Patra
10-10-2010, 10:03 PM
17 hectres is a big enough space for creation of a bird park, if planned well. From this image, I can't see any trees. Without the trees to give shade, serve as perch, and act as barrier, you wont find the large birds like storks etc.

You can post other images and details of this place. I will then shift the entire thread to wilderness updates section. There are many such places which are floundering due to lack of interest and lack of awareness. Hope we can save atleast a few of these places.

Mrudul Godbole
13-10-2010, 06:01 PM
It is good to know that the mining area is been developed as a park. I agree with Sabyasachi, do post other images showing the tree cover and the total area, so we can know more about how it can be further developed for nesting. Thanks for sharing.