PDA

View Full Version : Sea Gulls

Mohammed Raheel
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
The sea gulls followed the sealiner as they have been doing for ages.
Later I realized that they get easy food in the form of snacks leftover on the rooftop restaurants.
Something remarkable was some of the passengers were flinging eatables in the air and these birds catching them without fail.
I had to wait for long to get the bird in the correct angle (full view from underneath),,,, the aerodynamic posture of the bird was captured fully in this picture, notice the way the claws are clung tightly to the back to reduce air resistance.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Your shot details are as follows: ISO 64,
Exposure: f5.3 at 1/670sec,
focal length: 26.3 mm
Equivalent focal length in 35mm format: 126mm
Camera: Nikon Coolpix P5000

The shot is soft, but has a dynamic feel to it. The backlit feathers are nice. The underparts are well lit. The wingspread is nice. You clicked at the right moment.

The image needs to be brighter. Since the sky covered a major portion of the image, the camera automatically metered for the sky and hence the image was a bit underexposed. If you check the histogram, you will realise that the histogram is more towards the left indicating underexposure.

Some more space on the top (separation between the wings and the frame) would have been nice.

Mrudul Godbole
03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Welcome to Indiawilds..!!

Thats a nice piece of information about seagulls.Nice image
Looking forward to more.

Mohammed Raheel
04-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi Sabyasachi,
I am a bit embarrassed to ask this, but how did you make out the details of ISO/Focal Lenght/Exposure etc. from teh picture.
I clicked this picture in auto mode and am not sure how to get those details :)

Sabyasachi Patra
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi,
There is nothing to be embarrassed about. In Wildlife photography you keep on learning everyday. Don't feel ashamed to ask anything. I use a plugin for the firefox browser to view the details. Check this link. I have posted it in the tips section so that everybody can view it.

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1387#post1387