PDA

View Full Version : kandil pushpa -at Kaas plateau

Jitendra Katre
13-10-2010, 10:42 PM
canon 450d,tamron 90mm,f/10,1/100,iso-200

Sabyasachi Patra
14-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Lovely. The background is muted. At f10 certainly we don't expect well diffused background. However, this has come out well. The white patches on all sides seems like radiating out ( or may be my brain is working overdrive in the morning :D ).

Can someone give the scientific name please.

When is the season for this place?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Jitendra Katre
14-10-2010, 12:10 PM
thanks, i think the name of this species is 'ceropegia hirsuta'( kindly confirm name and spelling),locally it is known as 'kandil-pushpa (lantern flower). the right season to visit Kaas is during second half of September.

Mrudul Godbole
14-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Lovely flower, had not seen this before. It is good that you used f10, it has helped to get the details well. The white patches stand out well. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Vikram Gupchup
18-10-2010, 01:22 PM
An interesting feature of Ceropegias is that their flower tubes are lined with small hairs that point downward to form a temporary trap for small flies. When flies are attracted into the flower by the odour they are prevented from escaping until the hairs wither, the pollinia of the Ceropegia flower being attached to the flies’ bodies when they escape.

This is from Wiki.

I remember an article written by Shrikant Ingalhalikar in Sanctury about these..

Image is really nice. Light is great ! There seems to be something like a butterfly egg stuck to the base of the buds

Jitendra Katre
18-10-2010, 09:18 PM
thanks Vikram for the information, and thanks for the comment.

A.S.Chandrashekaran
26-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi Folks,
This is actually the Ceropegia vincifolia - Vinca-Leaved Ceropegia.
Please do visit http://www.flowersofindia.net You will find superb information on FLORA of India.
A S Chandrashekaran