PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Island ;)

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Photographed this in Karwar recently.
The large patch in the center is a congregation of ghost crabs that appeared during low tide in this creek. Saw this for the first time.

Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX10 IS
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/640
Av (Aperture Value) 5.0 (would a narrower aperture have helped here?)
ISO Speed 100

Thanks, C&C awaited.

Abhishek Jamalabad
16-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Also posting a huge crop where the crabs are visible.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Ohh....What looked like sand is actually thousands of ghost crabs. Good to see this. A narrow aperture will help. However, due to the small size of the crabs and the small amount of space in the overall image, it is not possible to see them unless printed big. However, your image gives an idea about the place.

I remember chasing them in my child hood days. Thanks for bringing back some nice memories. :-)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
16-10-2010, 05:53 PM
This is very interesting. The close-up does help, else it looks like sand. Any particular reason why all these crabs come at one place? Thanks for sharing.

Bibhav Behera
16-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Lovely documentation. How I wish to visit this place soon. Have heard so much about it.

Abhishek Jamalabad
17-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone.
Mrudul: Saw this behaviour for the first time. I'm not even sure whether there is any specific reason for it, they might have gathered there simply to feed on that patch of land when it was exposed during low tide. However, they could also have been breeding or spawning. After a while, a few house crows arrived there to feast on the crabs.