PDA

View Full Version : Rhino in Medla Range

Pralay Lahiry
24-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Shot with Canon Powershot A550 in Manual mode with 4x zoom. Don't have aperture/focus control. Shot with ISO Auto, Exposure +2/3, vivid mode, evaluative balance.

The photograph was taken in Gorumara South, Medla range in North Bengal near the Indo Bhutan border. This National Park faces a peculiar problem. The Gaur population density is one of the highest in India without any tiger population. Hence the Gaurs have multiplied unchecked. The rhino population has also multiplied and holds approximately 40 rhinos. I heard that there was a plan to release tigers but was put on hold because of dense population centres around the park. The problem is multiplied because of irresponsible and unregulated tourism who often treat the park as a picnic spot.

Mrudul Godbole
24-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Nice environment photograph. It is good that you included more of the grass than the sky. Since I don't know the aperture, I can't be very specific, but would have liked more details in the Rhino. Check if the focus is on the grass in the foreground.

Thanks for sharing the information about the National Park. Look forward to more.

Pralay Lahiry
24-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the analysis Mrudul. The inclusion of the grassland was quite unintentional. I was on a relatively small elephant's back perched precariously close to the ground, holding on to a piece of rope for dear life while trying to point the camera while it was preparing to charge. The moment after I took this photograph, it charged. I took the snap of it charging but not ashamed to say that it came out quite hazy :).
The canon powershot A550 has no AV control (I presume that it is controlled by the camera) and hence could not provide details.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I have heard of the problem in Gorumara. The tourism has to be restrained, if Gorumara has to survive. Unfortunately, our National Parks are losing their linkage, hence it becomes difficult for a tiger to come and occupy the area. Unless the apex predator is there, the growth of herbivores remains unbalanced.

Being on a small elephant, the experience is definitely going to be unnerving. I am happy that you didn't let go your camera. :D Considering that there are people who have fallen from elephant back in normal circumstances, it was good that we can hear the tale.

It becomes difficult to focus in the circumstances. The smaller sensor of the compact cameras give higher depth of field, so it gets covered up a bit.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
25-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice image of it in its typical habitat. I like the ratio of foreground to sky in this image. There seems to be slight green cast to this image. Tweaking the colour balance would be good here.

Praveen Siddannavar
26-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Lovely habitat shot
tfs

Pralay Lahiry
30-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the comments gents.