PDA

View Full Version : Keoladeo Ghana - Bharatpur Update - Oct 2010

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Keoladeo Ghana National Park & World Heritage Site- Bharatpur

I returned to Bharatpur for a short visit. My last visit was on Jan 2010 and due to no release of water from the dam, Bharatpur was dry in the later half of 2009 and first half of 2010. As a result the park was deserted by the migratory birds. Even the resident birds started dying.

With the reports of “park is filled with water”, I made a quick dash to bharatpur.

The visitor entry fees has been doubled from Rs. 25 to Rs. 50. Rickshaw charges have been increased from Rs. 50 per hour to Rs. 70 per hour.

As I move in, on the left and right, I see roads closed. There are many areas that has been closed to public. The road near the temple where people used to go for watching pythons is closed. The Park authorities has decided to do that as a tiger has come and taken residence in the park. This tiger is presumed to have come from Ranthambhore. Though there is no connectivity between Ranthambhore and Keoladeo Ghana, the tiger has managed to evade “arrest”/caged and reached bharatpur. A couple of forest guards have claimed to have seen it. No such luck for others. There is enough prey base in the park in the form of Nilgai, deer, sambars, feral cattle etc for the tiger to prey on. Though the general public is not allowed to get in, I saw the forest department gypsy carrying presumably family members into the park after the gates closed at 6 pm and also I saw the same people returning at 6.50 am in the morning. One can easily guess, that they were on a tiger safari after and before park timings into the areas where general public is not allowed.

Infact, my rickshaw puller was banned for 7 days as he was 2 mins late. And this happened right after the official gypsy carrying the “tourists” /relatives into the park (on 22nd Oct).

The number of birds in the park is very less. There were 7 painted storks nesting on the left. The rickshaw puller said that was the number of painted storks. Later I saw about 10 painted storks. There were a couple of open billed storks, 3-4 grey herons and a few purple herons. I saw a group of lesser whistling teals (about 20), cormorants about 20-30. There may be more in other parts of the park. Parakeets, partridge, a couple of kingfishers, one lesser spotted eagle, asian koel, one Indian moorehen near the entry of the park ie. about half a kilometer away from water, and a few peafowls, bulbuls, shrike etc. In short, the number of birds and the number of species present in bharatpur as on Oct 2010, doesn't merit a visit there. You will find more birds in your local swamp/wetland, than in bharatpur.

There are local people inside the park collecting wood, cutting grass etc. The number of cattle grazing has increased. Earlier, one used to find the feral cattle. Now the regular milch cows are also sent to the park for grazing.

The temperature was much higher than that in Delhi. One needs to switch on the Air conditioner in the hotels. Given the high temperature in bharatpur, the water is drying up fast. Migratory birds like ducks and geese etc may give the park a skip this year, if the water doesn’t remain. I am not sure whether the water level will dry up before January or not. Definitely, February will have no water, if there are no rains. I hope the migratory birds don’t skip this park. Else, with continued neglect by the authorities and the local people in supplying water from the dam, Keoladeo Ghana may soon be a lost cause forever.

Images to follow later…

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
28-10-2010, 08:23 PM
This is really alarming, I hope the authorities act soon.
Thanks for sharing the reality of Bharatpur:sad:

Roopak Gangadharan
29-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Sad.I visted bharatpur way back in 2000. Seems to have changed a lot.
Thanks for the update.

If active members write a small update on their recent visits to Reserves , parks and other places of intrest, will do a world of good for others planning a visit ( or in not planning one as in the case of Bharatpur would be.).Even otherwise it make good reading.

Roopak

Gautam Biswas
13-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Keoladeo Ghana National Park & World Heritage Site- Bharatpur

In short, the number of birds and the number of species present in bharatpur as on Oct 2010, doesn't merit a visit there.
Sabyasachi

We have been visiting Keoladeo sanctuary almost every year for quite a few years now. Though the water situation has deteriorated costing a lot of migratory birds keeping Bharatpur out of their itinerary, I still had lot of photo opportunities in Bharatpur. After the good monsoon season this year was hoping that my next planned trip in December would be a good one. But Sabyasachi's note of October is very worrying. Does anyone have a more recent update as to the water situation and access to the park's usual areas due to the visit of the tiger? I had read the tiger was planned to be reloacted to Sariska.