PDA

View Full Version : Cormorant basking in the sun

Pralay Lahiry
30-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Took this adjacent to a fish pond. Tried to circumvent the the waterbody to get a frontal view and lost my shoe in the mud in the process. Hence had to be content with it's backside.
Cropped the sides to take off an intruding bamboo pole.

Nikon coolpix P100
1/800s
f/8.0
ISO800
Hand held

Sabyasachi Patra
30-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I have realised that it is better to remove your shoe before getting into mud. It enhances your stability :D and ability to move. Also you wont lose your shoe in the process.

The habitat has come out well. The blacks have become very deep and has lost details. Opening up the shadows a bit and lowering the contrast will help. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Pralay Lahiry
30-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Very true. It's all a learning process. Actually I was so excited at seeing the cormorant spread it's wings that I forgot about the shoe. I remembered when I lost it :) Yes the blacks have blurred. I have to do some more experimenting with picasa. Thanks.

Mrudul Godbole
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
The vertical composition is nice. The habitat looks good.

The options in Picasa are limited. To open up the shadows, as Sabyasachi has suggested, you can use DPP a software which comes with Canon cameras or Lightroom which is specifically designed by Adobe for photography. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask. Thanks for sharing.