PDA

View Full Version : minivet

Jitendra Katre
31-10-2010, 06:37 AM
canon 45od,canon 400mm,f/5.6,1/1250,iso-400

Sabyasachi Patra
31-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Nice image. Where was this image captured?

This is a Small Minivet male. Scientific Name: Pericrocotus cinnamomeus
To increase our understanding of the species, I referred to Birds of South Asia by Pamela C Rassmussen & John C Anderton and quoted here:

Description

It has grey upperparts and a orange rump, tail-sides and short signle wing-slash. Male has slaty face ad throat, and brilliant orange breast. Female has whitish throat, usually narrow whitish spectacles, and whitish to yellowish underparts. First-summer male is like female but with traces of black throat and orange breast; can breed in this plumage. Juvenile very like female, but with slight pale fringing to tertials; fledgling extensively barred pale above.

Occurs: Resident in virtually entire subcontinent from Indus valley in Pakistan through sub-Himalayan region to NE India, Bangladesh (wide-spread) south to Sril Lanka and in Andamans; in plains to 1600m, only absent from driest regions of NW. Very common in dry deciduous and mixed woodland, thorn forest, plantations, scrub and gardens.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Jitendra Katre
31-10-2010, 11:05 AM
in Satara..i have seen it many times through my bedroom window..

Jitendra Katre
31-10-2010, 11:06 AM
thanks for the detailed info.

Mrudul Godbole
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Lovely colours. The eye contact is nice. Wish the angle was less steep. Nice birding from your window :). Thanks for sharing.