Sandesh Astgikar
02-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Camera Canon 7D,
Lens Sigma 50-500mm f 4-6.3,
ISO 1600,
Place Kutta

Mohan Raj
03-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Well composed. I think the image looks little over saturated and little blur.
Sandesh Astgikar name stands out more than the subject.

Sandesh, TFS.

Praveen Siddannavar
03-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Nice image, agree with Mohan about the saturation and copyright sign
tfs

Bibhav Behera
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I like the green theme in the image. The eye contact is good. I would ahve liked to see some more details in the bird. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Sandesh,
Welcome to IndiaWilds! You can introduce yourself in the Who's Who section so that we can know you better.

The eye contact is fine. I wish it were on a natural perch.

The image is a bit soft. The Sigma lens is not as sharp as the prime 500mm lens of Canon. However, I am won't attribute it to the lens. What was the shutter speed? I guess the shutter speed was less. How much was the crop? Were you handholding?

The cameras like 7D, Mark IV etc have high resolutions. However, unless and until the lens is stable and we use a higher shutter speed, the resolution captured in the image is much less. So we have to place special emphasis on our technique. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sandesh Astgikar
03-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Thank you all for valuable comments .
Yes this is a 25% crop of the raw image and after reducing the size i myself can feel the difference.
This is an handheld shot in heavy rain (shot by keeping the lens on the shoulder of the driver )and my lens too covered with lot of drops of rain. Shutter speed was 1/630 and shot in manual mode.
The Large size of the same image looks good.
But still lens I will change later with L series.
Once again thank you for viewing and valuable comments.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
One clarification: I am not suggesting everybody to upgrade. Even with the Sigma lens, with a good shutter speed, stable support (tripod or beanbag), proper focus and less cropping will make a much sharper image.

To get these small birds, it would be a better idea to identify a perch frequented by the bee eaters, and then place yourself in a temporary hide/even car and wait. They will perch after sometime if one doesnt make noise or remains still and silent.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Welcome to IndiaWilds.

Nice first post. I liked the vertical composition. You did well in the given conditions. You can try using the Av (Aperture Priority) mode instead of the Manual, as after setting the aperture the software will adjust the shutter speed. That helps while photographing birds. Do change the size of your copyright mark, so it wont distract.

Look forward to more.