PDA

View Full Version : Tiger by night/Bandipur#2

Praveen Siddannavar
04-11-2010, 07:36 AM
From the same series posted earlier, I know few fellow members suggested that I should have included the tiger in full, but I was in a awkard position. Can you imagine shooting this during pitch dark, one leg on the jeep's rear foot board and other one hanging out:laugh:, handholding and on a moving vehicle as the tiger stoped for few seconds and kept moving in the dark. This is the best I could do, had we got this in day light it would have been great, but these were some exciting moments to spot tiger at night.

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D, 500mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/25
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
ISO 6400
Focal length 500mm
Full frame
Handheld

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Good one sir,
Ya i can understand the difficulty in shooting at night, you have done it really well.

But the experience is mesmerizing.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Wish you had seen the tiger with enough of sunlight. ISO 6400 indicates it was completely dark. Watching a tiger is always a nice experience. Not sure about photography in the night.

Ofcourse, In 1999, I had photographed a leopard in the night using the headlights of the jeep. At that time, the leopard appeared to be a transfixed by the light beams as it crossed the road and watched us from about 10 feet away. That was the modus operandi of poachers who use spot light from jeeps and fire away.

Your tiger luck seems to be increasing with each passing day.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mohan Raj
13-11-2010, 01:31 AM
I wish this post is not in the public for the conservation reasons.

Praveen Siddannavar
13-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Mohan Raj appreciate your concerns, I don't see any reasons for not posting this. I have photographed this within Bandipur Tiger Reserve and much within permissible time limits for jungle safari by the forest dept. I have shot this image at 6:20pm on winter evening and it was completely dark during that time. Probably the title "Tiger by Night" is misleading:)
However if you have any other concerns pl elaborate, we can discuss.

Sabyasachi/Mrudul - can you advise me if unknowingly I have slipped off some posting guidelines at Indiawilds.

Gautam Biswas
13-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Must admit you have very strong hands- handholding a 500mm at 1/25s to still get almost a reasonably sharp image. In such situations you may have tried the 12800ISO. The noise level of 1D4 is quite low and can be further reduced by LR3.