Sandesh Astgikar
06-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Canon 7D
Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3,
ISO 100
1/640 shutter speed.Hand held Shot a Ranganatittu Bird Sanctuary

Sabyasachi Patra
06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I like the upward stroke of the wings. The eye contact is good. Why ISO 100? You needed a higher shutter speed to freeze the wings.

How did you convert your image? The background looks weird. What was the aperture?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sandesh Astgikar
06-11-2010, 11:00 PM
As day was a bright and sunny I kept ISO 100
There were no space in front of the bird so i edited in the PS and cloned the Dark spaces .

Mohan Raj
06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
The eye contact & timing and the composition (PS) ;-) are very nice. The red spots in the underwing looks new to me.
:thumbup1:
Sandesh, TFS.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Sandesh,
Are you using aperture priority or shutter priority? Or are you using manual mode?

It is important to check the shutter speed that you are getting and decide on the ISO. In this case the shutter speed was 1/640. For flight shots, you need a higher shutter speed to freeze the wings. Doubling the ISO to 200 would have given you a shutter speed of 1/1250. That would have been good.

As far as cloning is concerned, nature magazines and contests dont allow cloned images. Ofcourse, there are people who try to cheat despite the rules and a few get caught. Also, one thing to remember, cloning during post processing is easy to do. However, it often makes people lazy. It is important to push yourself to realise your potential. It is always better to spend more time in the field than in editing images. Look forward to more images.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sandesh Astgikar
07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Thank you patra
I am using Manual mode and Even lot time i observed that in EV mode at ISO1600 i is to get shutter speed about 1/250 or 1/350, So default i am using M mode where i set he details and shoot.
Definitely in future i will try to use AV mode effectively and even compose the frame.
I want to ask that when we reduce the file size for posting is there any loss of image quality?
Sandesh

Sabyasachi Patra
07-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Every time you work on a jpeg image, even if you simply save on the same jpeg image, the quality reduces.

So I shoot in RAW and then convert the raw to the size I require for posting. You need to sharpen the image a little bit while converting. I use the default sharpening in lightroom.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
The eye contact is nice. I agree a higher shutter speed would have helped to freeze the wings. It would be good, if you post images without cloning, as this is a learning forum and that would help you to understand better as what best you can do. Look forward to more.