View Full Version : Larger Egret

Sandesh Astgikar
06-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Canon 7D,
Sigma 50-500 Lens f4-6.3,
ISO 100, TV 1/500 ,Hand held

Mohan Raj
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I like the bird and the details in photograph. I believe the bird in the photograph is Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)
:thumbup1:
Sandesh, TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
07-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I would have loved a higher depth of field. A narrow aperture would have been great as the head is now not covered by the depth of field. Increasing the ISO from ISO 100 to ISO 200 would have enabled you to use a narrow aperture by one more stop. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
07-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Is this full frame? Some more space at the bottom to include the feathers in full would have enhanced the composition further. Agree about the narrow aperture. Thanks for sharing.

Sandesh Astgikar
07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
This is FF

Sandesh Astgikar
07-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Patra sir ,
I would like to know is this is a greater Egret or smaller Egret

Sabyasachi Patra
07-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Difference between adult breeding Great Egret (Egretta alba) and Little/Smaller Egret (Egretta garzetta) :

Size: The size of greater egret is about 90 cm and smaller is about 63 cm.

Facial skin: In Little egret the facial skin becomes reddish for a short time during breeding whereas in case of Great egret the facial skin becomes blue green.

Plumes: The smaller egret has long narrow nape plumes and filmy dorsal plumes. In this case I cannot see nape plumes. In case of Great egret you wont find nape plumes. The filmy plumes are only on the back.

Legs: The smaller or Little egret has got black legs and yellow feet. The Great egret has got reddish legs. Note in this image the legs are partly visible.

Neck: Great egret has got a sharply kinked neck.

It often becomes confusing. So I posted the differences. I think you can conclude now. :)
Cheers,
Sabyasachi