PDA

View Full Version : River Lapwing

Atul Dhamankar
08-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Corbett NP, Uttarakhand
May 2010

Jitendra Katre
08-11-2010, 09:46 PM
nice sharpness,..i think there is some tilt..

Praveen Siddannavar
09-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Nice image, however I feel the frame is too tight
tfs

Atul Dhamankar
09-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi,
Its full frame image.
Atul

Sabyasachi Patra
09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Vanellus duvaucelii

This is nearly square image so I guess there would be crop in atleast horizontal or vertical side.

I agree with Praveen that more space would have strengthened the composition. At the bottom though the leg is hidden behind the rock, it appears to have been cut due to lack of space. Our mind to tends to follow the limb and when there is no more space, we feel it is cut.

Some more separation between the right frame and the lapwing's tail feathers would have been better. Also, a slight counter clockwise rotation would be good.

Description: (from Birds of South Asia The Ripley guide Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C. Anderton)
A pale sandy-grey bull-headed lapwing with long lax black crest, face, throat, bill and legs (only Sociable also has dark legs); paler above than Red-wattled, with pale (Vs. black) breast. Male has long black wing-spurs (not usually visible in field), somewhat shorter in female; sexes otherwise similar. Juvenile has duller black face, little or no black belly-patch and very small spurs. In flight, wing pattern similar to Red-wattled and Yellow-wattled, but from above shows less white, the white band on alula reaches leading edge of wing (and is bordered on the inside by small black patch) and tail is black to tip. From below similar to REd-wattled, but note black belly-patch.

Occurs:
Resident, throughout large river systems of North India and foothills of Himalayas from West Himachal to Arunachal and Assam Valley; S Assam hills (Meghalaya and South to Lushai Hills); Bangladesh (at least NE, status unclear elsewhere), Central India and NE Peninsula; lowlands to c.2300m (Bhutan).
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi