PDA

View Full Version : Egrets

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
12-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Canon 1000D, SS-1/320, F-7.1, ISO -400.

Dear all,

When i was photographing this ,i wanted both the birds and perch to be in focus so i selected all AF points , and shot this at higher shutter speed , but when i look at the photo i feel the image is little bit soft , but the perch in between the birds has come out sharp.Any reasons for this or EXIF details is not suitable .

Please suggest me, so that i can implement it next time.

Thanks and regards,
Akshay

Sandesh Astgikar
12-11-2010, 10:48 PM
The image looks OK for me.Ned to increase the AV value 9-11 and need to expose by manual mode and using tripod as there are lot of branches emerging.

Praveen Siddannavar
13-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Nice image Akshay, i like their perch and both looking in one direction. A higher shutter speed probably would have been better. Nevertheless this is image looks good.
tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
13-11-2010, 05:53 PM
The composition is fine. Both of them are looking in one direction and that creates a nice pattern. A lower angle would have ensured that the water line would not have passed behind the birds.

When you select all the AF (Auto focus ) points, it doesn't mean that all the points will be in focus. The AF point will lock on to one of the areas. In this case, it has locked on to the vegetation in the middle. So it is always better to manually select the AF point. To get everything in focus, your depth of field has to be more. You can get higher depth of field, if you are using a narrow aperture ie. f8, f11 etc. f11 will give more depth of field ie the zone of acceptable sharpness will be more in f11 as compared to f8. You can press the depth of field preview button in your camera to see how much area comes in focus on a particular aperture.

When you use a narrow aperture like f8 or f11, the shutter speed naturally goes down. So Sandesh's suggestion of using a tripod is a good one.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
14-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Difficult condition to photograph. Agree with the above comments, manually selecting the AF point would help. Liked the way they are perched in between the vegetation and are looking in the same direction. I would also add a bit more space to the left from the right in the direction they are looking. Thanks for sharing.