PDA

View Full Version : Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary

Gautam Biswas
13-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I plan to visit Kerala in January 2011 for few days. Was wondering if a visit to the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary will be good my interest being Bird photography. Can anyone on this forum advise me on this sanctuary?

Gautam Biswas
16-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I am still hoping someone can throw some light on this bird sanctuary. From the search on the internet, it appears to be a promising place. What surprised me is that these sites mention the Siberian cranes as one of the winter visitors.

I had believed that Siberian cranes only used to visit north India, Bharatpur being the usual spot. The last of the sightings had been in 2003 or so.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I haven't been there. Primary reason being my colleagues visit there for holidays. I have heard it is good for the resident birds. I don't have the recent updates though from photographers. Have you considered Thattekad? The star attraction being the Srilankan Frogmouth.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Gautam,
We were typing at the same time. There is lot of junk/myths spread by travel websites. It is believed that the group of Siberian cranes that used to visit Keoladeo ghana in bharatpur has been wiped out. So no chance of we ever seeing a siberian crane in India.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
16-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Gautam:

I have been to Kumarkom once and as Sabyasachi mentioned found it rich mainly with the resident water birds. The sanctuary is now surrounded by number of resorts. A pair of Siberian Cranes here sounds exaggerating. Thattekad would be anytime a great choice. Star attraction for me there would be a Black Baza.

Do let us know your report if you visit any of these places. I have visited Kumarkom only once and hence not sure about it's current state. However it is good for a family vacation indeed :)

Regards,
Tushar

Roopak Gangadharan
30-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi Gautam,

guess im late on this. kumarakom has a good heronry and lots of water birds. It is not as such known for its birding as much as for the backwaters, house boats and some traditional cuisine. Of course People categorise all migrants from central asia/ siberia as siberian cranes, you can ignore that. As far as birding goes Tattekad is much better. There have however been some surprising sightings at kumarakkom recently (as informed by a friend) red necked falcon (twice), Eurasian wryneck, Greater spotted eagle., brown breasted fly catcher (once). Enjoy ur trip

Gautam Biswas
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Thank you Sabyasachi, Tushar and Roopak,
I will be visiting the Tathekkad Bird sanctuary in January and from there I plan to take a houseboat trip on the lake Vembanad where probably will have a chance to pass the Kumarakom Bird sanctuary and hopefully photograph some birds.

V S Sankar
12-12-2010, 10:31 AM
As Roopak said Kumaramom is not that fwmous for bird sightings.Thattekkad definitely is the place to be in.(Eldhose is the person to contact at Thattekkad.He just "hears" the birds and locates for you.He would provide food and accomodation as well.

Then may be you can go to Kumarakom by road and then catch a boat to visit the bird sanctuary.

Have a nice time.

Regards

Gautam Biswas
12-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks Sankar for your suggestions. As suggested by other members too, I have planned a visit to Thattekad from 8th to 10th Jan. I have contacted one Mr Gireesh, to guide and organise a homestay.

As you might note from my profile, I am more of a nature photographer than a birder (in the strict sense of the term). For me the sighting of a rare is exciting but not so much as creating a rare or beautiful action or behaviour of a animal or bird, even if the species is a common one. When I was speaking to Mr Gireesh he mentioned that Thattekad was a very good place for birding but photography is difficult as most of the birds are high up on trees. Water birds on the other hand provide with more photography opportunities with more action, reflections and a much cleaner background, etc. But I still decided to go to Thattekad as suggested by so many of you as there is nothing better than experiencing it first hand. I hope to have a chance of photographing around the Kumarakom lake also from the houseboat.