PDA

View Full Version : Black Shouldered Kite (?)

Udai Bisht
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Took this one on the way to Kabini. Is this the Black Shouldered Kite?

450D
100-400mm L IS USM
f/5.6
1/2000
ISO 200

Rakesh Dhareshwar
08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
LOvely image of the BSK, also called the Black Winged Kite.

Sabyasachi Patra
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Udai,
This is a black shouldered kite. I like the composition. I wish the second branch were not there. I know, you can't wish the bird to sit where you want. :-)

It would have been good if you could have been at a higher level. Did you get any bird during the Kabini jeep rides? Could you get any flight shots of this black shouldered kite? Your shutter speed was ok for flight shots.

Udai Bisht
09-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I took this shot about 3-4 kms before Kabini. This was the solitary bird in the sky and I quickly pulled over and rushed to get my camera out. By the time I opened the boot, fixed the lens and turned on the camera it had already settled on the top most branch of a nearby tree. I waited for 10-15 mins in the hope it would take flight so that I could get an in flight shot but that was not to be. It seemed pretty happy on the tree and didn't move.

During the jeep ride I could get an Indian Roller (which I've already posted), a Grey Jungle Fowl and, I think a Jungle Myna...not too sure though. Will post it shortly to get the id reconfirmed.