PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea)

Sandesh Astgikar
16-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Canon 400D
Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3,
Hand held AV mode,1/1000 SS,ISO1600.
Shot at RBS Mysore

Sandesh Astgikar
16-11-2010, 09:05 PM
let me know about Frame and Expo.

Mrudul Godbole
16-11-2010, 09:33 PM
The vertical composition is nice. Less space at the bottom would have been good, as it doesn't add much to the image. The eye contact is fine. Wish it was closer. Thanks for sharing.

Jitendra Katre
16-11-2010, 09:35 PM
good image..is it a nesting bird?

Praveen Siddannavar
16-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Beautiful image, agree with comments made by Mrudul.
tfs

Sandesh Astgikar
16-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Even though this shot is FF still it's a long shot and i don't have place to stand and shoot.
But In frame can we compose Half Base and half subject of interest?

Sandesh Astgikar
16-11-2010, 10:26 PM
It's a nesting bird

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Even though this shot is FF still it's a long shot and i don't have place to stand and shoot.
But In frame can we compose Half Base and half subject of interest?

Can you please elaborate?

The eye contact is good. Not many people would have seen a nesting image of a Purple heron. I guess you would have photographed this at 500mm. However, nesting images are likely to tempt many people with shorter lenses to move closer to the bird. In places like UK, one needs a license to photograph nesting birds. India doesn't have any such laws, and I know of people who go and cut the branches infront of the nest to get a better view. My views on ethics in Nature photography can be found in this link: http://www.indiawilds.com/diary/ethics-in-nature-photography

At the bottom of the link, I have quoted the views of Royal Photographic Society, London on the subject.

I would like to know more views on the subject, so that we can create some guidelines for photographers.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
16-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Discouraging photography of nesting birds is in general a good idea. Birds are most vulnerable during this phase and it's better to leave them alone for their parental duties. I am sure there are ways to photograph them from a distance (e.g. super teles as in this shot) and with due care but the chances are many won't show that restraint (with or without the necessary focal length). It will be very unfortunate to let our enthusiasm of getting a good photo overcome the responsibility of giving the birds their due privacy. Folks who are parents can easily imagine importance of this very sensitive and intimate phase. And on a lighter note, if we leave them alone during nesting, there will be many more modelling for us at a later stage :001_tongue:

If it's not already mentioned, may be we can have rule barring images of nesting birds as is the case on other forums. My $0.02.

Regards,
Tushar

Sandesh Astgikar
16-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Dear every one
I am very far from the sub.
Here i am asking how to compose the frame in such situation where the bird is standing in a shallow place and your position is slightly above the sub ?

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
17-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Beautiful image Sandesh,

Very few people get a chance to see nesting Heron, YOU were lucky enough.

Bibhav Behera
17-11-2010, 11:38 AM
In this case since you are above the subject's level, it would help to lower yourself slightly (bend/crouch/go prone) to try and get yourself as much in line with the bird.
Here I agree that slightly less inclusion of the nest/perch would have been better. Thanks for sharing.

Sandesh Astgikar
18-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Thank you dear friends