PDA

View Full Version : concrete jungle's bird

Saurabh Bhatia
24-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Caught this bird on top of a 15 storeyed under -construction building in delhi.
It was looking forlorn and lost and i could only use my phone camera with me. so sorry for bad resolution.

I don't know its species so ID would be helpful.
it sat acroos a glass from me and i took snaps almost from 3 feet distance. it didnt budge at all.
Can they not see thru glass???

Bibhav Behera
24-11-2010, 01:15 PM
The glass was probably a one way viewing glass. This looks like a Black Kite (Milvus migrans) to me.

Mrudul Godbole
24-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes it is a Black Kite. It does seem forlorn and lost in the concrete jungles with loss of trees and natural surroundings :(. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
24-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Black Kite indeed
tfs

Tushar Dixit
24-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Interesting perspective, Saurabh! As Bibhav says, this may be a one-way glass. This post prompts me to share my experience -

As in your photo, my office has glass windows on the exterior. One day while having coffee on the top floor, a pigeon came flying and collided head-on with the window. I couldn't see what happened but it was not pleasant. Clearly the glass was meant to be one way during the day but it also reflected the sky and created the illusion of the safe passage. I did some searching and was shocked to know that millions of birds die each year due to collisions with the glass windows as per the US Fish & Wildlife Service. Many of us (including me) are oblivious to what these glasses can do the avian world. In US at least, I have seen NGOs promoting use of various techniques to reduce such fatalities. Usually swift fliers like pigeons and migratory or scared birds (sparrows trapped at windows) are victims in such accidents.

Thanks for sharing this photo - depicts the extent we have invaded in their world!

Regards,
Tushar

Sabyasachi Patra
25-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Interesting. Tushar has nicely mentioned the problems faced by birds. I have read that thousands of birds collide and die. I hope we can first get a better understanding of this issue and then try to raise awareness.

Sabyasachi