PDA

View Full Version : Canon introduces locking mode dial in 5D Mark II and 7D

Sabyasachi Patra
06-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Canon has issued a product advisory for EOS 7D and EOS 5D Mark II cameras. It offers customers an option to replace the mode dial of these two cameras with a mode dial which can be locked. This is following complaints from people that the mode dial inadvertently moves. This feature is similar to the feature seen in the 60D. This option is available at a cost of 110 USD. I am not sure when it would be offered in India.

I am giving the link to the Canon US page. This page also shows the image and other details.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480245968

Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
07-12-2010, 09:18 PM
A very useful feature, which solves a common problem of dial getting turned inadvertently. I have lost few shots as the dial turned on Tv :crying:

The upgrade cost sounds a bit steep though! Hoping that it will be offered in India as well. Plan to call Canon center here in couple of days. Let's see what they say.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Tushar,
I agree. The only non-1 series body I had used for a considerable time was 10D and I had faced this problem and had shifted over to the 1D Mark II. When I had the 40D as backup for a few months, I had faced a similar problem.

This is perhaps the first time, Canon is coming out with a hardware upgrade. It seems they are now taking the user complaints seriously. Also, the runaway success of the Canon 5D Mark II as a filming device took Canon by surprise and they want to tap into that market.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi