PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Crash

Sabyasachi Patra
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
I photographed this Pelican crashing into water in Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary on Feb 1st this year.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 320, f8, 1/2000, EV: -2/3. Full frame image. Look forward to your comments.

Chitrita Chatterjee
12-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Looks like the Pelican whos pic u posted earlier....!! the one that was taking off...??? actually both pics seen together.... almost show the motion of crashing and then taking off again..... wish u would post the 2 pics together... what an action sequence that would make....
:-)

Aditya Panda
12-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Nice action captured. Was this around mid-day?

Sabyasachi Patra
12-03-2009, 02:18 PM
It was at 10.30 am. In Post processing increased 1/3 stop.

Ranbir Mahapatra
12-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Great capture! I am wondering at which point of the embankement you were stationed to have captured the shot at this angle. I recall another picture from the same series, the pelican landing (not take-off) which had a similar angle of landing.

I feel the rib of the left wing is a tad over exposed and thus a bit too white. Plus, the leaves in a background look a bit washed out. Perhaps it was an unsually sunny day.

The reflection of the pelican is interesting. It looks split to me.

Aditya Panda
12-03-2009, 05:56 PM
It was at 10.30 am. In Post processing increased 1/3 stop.

Okay... a little underexposure might bring out some details on the head, I think. I like the way you have composed the frame while the action was still taking place.

I've heard someone comparing a pelican's take off with that of a Boeing 747, hinting at the heavy bird's really long 'taxy-ing' before it takes to the air. Now I know they crash land too!

Sabyasachi Patra
12-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I had photographed this from the same point. Just that this Pelican flew straight and dived as if a school buy is diving into a pond.

Posting a version after reducing the exposure. I had increased the exposure earlier in post processing as I dont like darkened backgrounds. The Whites and Blacks have details.

Aditya Panda
12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
This one is much better, the light is less harsh than the previous one and with better details on the bird.

Cheers!

Ranbir Mahapatra
12-03-2009, 11:32 PM
After seeing this version, I think I liked the original better. This image does not do justice to the color of the feathers; its too dark for 10:30am.

Secondly, the new image with its darker tone has a more sombre or gloomy feel to it.