PDA

View Full Version : Asian Openbill Stork on a Perch

Ranbir Mahapatra
12-03-2009, 11:07 PM
It was my first visit to a wildlife sanctuary. Nature's sly sense of humor became immediately apparent. Ranganathittu, nestled in islets formed by River Cauvery, with its high density of various species of birds could put to shame many of the so called "zoological gardens". Our clumsy attempt at replicating such ambiance in a zoo seemed lamentable.

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109

And who says you cannot get close to a wild bird? The birds of Ranganathittu were flamboyant in their majestic ignorance of us: the tourists.

Looking back, I wish I had done justice to the beauty of the place and its feathery inhabitants.

This is an image of an Asian Openbill stork. It is a resident of this part of the world and is the most intrepid of the lot I saw at Ranganathittu. The Indian Cormorant did give it some tough competition though.

Image details:
Location: Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, on the way to Mysore from Bangalore. Taken April 2008.

Canon EOS 400D, f5.6, 1/200, ISO 100, 163mm. Cropped to around 80% of original image.

Sabyasachi Patra
13-03-2009, 09:24 AM
The image gives a feel of the place. Places like Ranganathittu need to be left alone. Leave a big enough place and nature will take over and automatically birds etc will come. No need to make clumsy attempts at keeping birds in a zoo in cages.

In this image, I would have loved an overcast sky. It becomes hot and the light gets harsh.

When composing images with out of focus subjects, often the peripheral AF points don't do a good job. In most of the cameras the central AF sensor is the most powerful. So better to use the central focussing point and then recompose or use manual focus.