PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Flycather - Female

Kiran Ghadge
13-03-2009, 11:42 AM
aperture- F5.6
shutter speed - 1/100 sec
camera - Canon 50d
lens - Canon 100-400mm
Shot this in Sinhagad Valley - pune. Your comments welcome and let me know how could I have done it better.

Thanks
Kiran

Sabyasachi Patra
13-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Kiran,
What was the ISO? Is this a full frame image?

I would have loved some more sharpness. Were you handholding? I would have loved a higher shutter speed. 1/100 becomes slow in arresting subject motion, especially the head of small birds. Little bit more space at the bottom would be better. It is not easy to get the birds with long tails.

Do you have a vertical?

I would love to add this bird to my list. Colours are lovely. The background is relatively diffused. I don't mind the few out of focus branches. Thanks for sharing.

Ranbir Mahapatra
13-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Great image for your first upload Kiran! Welcome to IndiaWilds.

The tone, saturation is optimal for the moment. Great use of the f8 aperture here!

I am wondering if you would have lowered the frame a bit to crop out the blurred branches on top.

Sabyasachi Patra
13-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I am wondering if you would have lowered the frame a bit to crop out the blurred branches on top.

To get the bird lower in the frame, he has to raise himself. No idea, if there was a mound or something that he could climb. No idea if this bird was cooperative enough to give him a few more frames and experimentations.

Kiran Ghadge
13-03-2009, 12:38 PM
@Saby : ISO was 200, I remember I typed it somehow I deleted it :)..
If I rembember correctly this shot was handheld. I too would have to loved higher shutter speed, but for 50d you cannot go for higher ISOs and light was dying.
I do not have vertical frame of female paradise, I have vertical frame of male will post that soon.

@Ranbir : I was sitting while taking this shot and was close to this bird, any moment would have frightened the bird.
In Sinhagad Valley its very difficult to get clean and OOF background...

thank you all for your comments, I will keep these in mind for my next valley visit.

Cheers,
Kiran