PDA

View Full Version : Sunset

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
21-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Image was captured in Raw.I have done some HDR toning to the image.
Comments & critique are welcome..
Canon 500D
18-250
1/100
f11
ISO 100

Amit Kalele
22-12-2010, 09:50 AM
its a nice scene, but your HDR conversion is way way off. needs to be redone carefully with proper tone mapping.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
22-12-2010, 06:40 PM
its a nice scene, but your HDR conversion is way way off. needs to be redone carefully with proper tone mapping.

Can you please elaborate?

Amit Kalele
23-12-2010, 08:08 AM
HI,

It would be great if you share how you made this HDR.

The few things which bothers me are

1. The greens are way to bright. even brighter than the sky, which is not normal.
2. Colours are too much saturated.
3. HDR conversion resulted in halo around dark areas.
4. Halo around the boat.

To correct such issues, normally a process called tone mapping is used, which is part of most of the HDR softwares.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't do tone mapping or HDR stuff. I would prefer to use a GND filter. However, I agree with Amit. The reflection can't be brighter than the sky. The colours are too intense and look artificial.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
25-12-2010, 10:01 PM
HI,

It would be great if you share how you made this HDR.

The few things which bothers me are

1. The greens are way to bright. even brighter than the sky, which is not normal.
2. Colours are too much saturated.
3. HDR conversion resulted in halo around dark areas.
4. Halo around the boat.

To correct such issues, normally a process called tone mapping is used, which is part of most of the HDR softwares.

Thanks for your observations Mr Kalele. Actually,to me HDR images are some kind of digital paintings or illustrations rather than actual photographs.So I created it that way only.It can never bring naturality to an image. Images using CPL are any day better than those tone mapped images.I wanted to bring out some details out of the underexposed parts of the image,by increasing the luminosity & white points little more.Which probably created all those things which bothered you :).Anyway I am reposting the image.Kindly give your opinion regarding it.THANKS

Amit Kalele
27-12-2010, 11:53 AM
HI,

Its your picture sir, you can definitely present it the way you want :). I just shared my view. Hope I haven't offended you in anyway. BTW the repost looks much much better to me.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
27-12-2010, 12:22 PM
HI,

Its your picture sir, you can definitely present it the way you want :). I just shared my view. Hope I haven't offended you in anyway. BTW the repost looks much much better to me.

Not at all Mr Kalele.Your comment ,in fact, helped me rectifying my mistakes.I am very new to this field.So ,basically,experimenting with things :).So keep commenting without any hesitation please.Thanks

Sabyasachi Patra
27-12-2010, 10:31 PM
The repost looks better. However, the colours still look a bit saturated more for my taste. One needs to keep on experimenting to reach at the right balance.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi