PDA

View Full Version : Indian Gaint Squirrel

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Dear All,
Last week i had been to BRT sanctuary , I was there for a week roaming around the forest with Forest Guards ,watchers and Anti Poaching Camp.

I spotted a Male tiger near Boodipadaga Guest House, It was around evening 7 but couldn't photograph it, But i was very excited to see the Majestic animal.

This Gaint squirrel was Photographed near Bedguli Range.

Canon 1000D,
SIGMA70-300MM
1/320, f5.6, ISO 1600,

Regards,
Akshay

Sabyasachi Patra
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Good to know that you spotted a tiger there. Some time back, I had a nice moment of watching a tiger in my headlights there for about 45 mins.

Often we miss the lesser known animals like this Ratufa indica as we chase the tiger. A vertical composition would have been nice as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Sighting a tiger is always a great moment. Nice image of the Malabar giant Squirrel. Seems the light was quite bad. The eye contact is nice. Agree a vertical would have looked good. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Good to know you had an opportunity to sight a Tiger in BRT, I am glad they still exist there. The image is nice, wish the light was better
tfs

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
03-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Dear All, Thanks for the comments,

Sabya: Agree with you that as we chase tiger we forget these beautiful mammals, and i spotted asian palm civet cat for the first time, i have taken a record shot using my mobile.
I enjoyed watching Ratufa indica for half an hour , i have tried vertical composition which ill be sharing .

Praveen: BRT wildlife sanctuary is approximately 560 sq kms, and has 5 different ranges including chamrajnagar,
1.Punujnur
2.kollegala
3.K-Gudi
4.Yelandur

I got an oppurtunity to work as a volunteer for Tiger and Elephant census which was held in Jan 2009, and June 2010 respectively , I was in Punujnur range for 1 week, As per the census result shared by Fomer DFO Mr Biswajit Misra , who was the DFO during that time, There are 32 tigers in BRT range,Based on SCAT ,PUG marks and visual observation and during tiger census 11 TIGERS were spotted live in different ranges,

the data also reveled that out of 32 tigers nearly 18-20 are present in Ankere Beat of K.Gudi range.

They have placed Camera traps in few areas where tigers often vist , During my last 1 week stay there i used to see pug marks and scat regularly.

And i am in constant touch with the officers there and ill be getting updates on their sightings.

Regards,
Akshay