PDA

View Full Version : Painted Stork(Juvenile)

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
23-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Canon 500D
70-300mm
1/250
f8
ISO 200
Hand held
KGNP,Bharatpur

Praveen Siddannavar
23-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Nice shot, open wings look good. I guess the focus is locked on the wings. You could have tried shooting this with a different angle.
tfs

Sabyasachi Patra
23-01-2011, 12:51 PM
This looks like a large crop. I would prefer to see more environmental images than large crops as it is difficult to create a pleasing image of a bird or animal and its habitat.

In this image, the light is from the right and the bird is facing left. So the shadow is on the left and the partially opened wings are lit. Since the eye is not is not in critical focus and there is shadow on the ground, our attention goes more towards the shadow.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
23-01-2011, 01:25 PM
The pose is nice. The raised leg and the partially open wings look good. Wish you were closer. You could increased the ISO further for a higher shutter speed. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
23-01-2011, 03:01 PM
This looks like a large crop. I would prefer to see more environmental images than large crops as it is difficult to create a pleasing image of a bird or animal and its habitat.

In this image, the light is from the right and the bird is facing left. So the shadow is on the left and the partially opened wings are lit. Since the eye is not is not in critical focus and there is shadow on the ground, our attention goes more towards the shadow.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

This was only 30pc cropped.Image was cropped as there were many distracting elements around.Had the light was from my behind,the details of the wings won't have come out that well.I agree that focus should have been more on the head.As far the shadow is concerned,I am not sure how much distracting it is........Thanks :)

Sabyasachi Patra
23-01-2011, 03:53 PM
This was only 30pc cropped.

Image was cropped as there were many distracting elements around.Had the light was from my behind,the details of the wings won't have come out that well.I agree that focus should have been more on the head.As far the shadow is concerned,I am not sure how much distracting it is........Thanks :)

30% cropped from which direction?
Your 500D is 4752 x3168 pixels (assuming you are shooting in raw or in the highest quality jpeg mode)

The correct way to calculate the crop % is:
Original image is 4752x3168 = 15054336
Cropped image dimensions: A x B = AB
Crop % = {(original image lengthxbreadth) - (cropped image lengthxbreadth)}/(Original image length x breadth)

= {(4752 x 3168) - (AB)}/(4752 x 3168)

You can check your cropped image dimensions and using this formula calculate how much you have cropped.

If the light was behind you, then the eye, underparts of the wings and the right wing would have been properly lit and more details would have come out.

The more you analyse your images, the better prepared you are.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
23-01-2011, 04:22 PM
30% cropped from which direction?
Your 500D is 4752 x3168 pixels (assuming you are shooting in raw or in the highest quality jpeg mode)

The correct way to calculate the crop % is:
Original image is 4752x3168 = 15054336
Cropped image dimensions: A x B = AB
Crop % = {(original image lengthxbreadth) - (cropped image lengthxbreadth)}/(Original image length x breadth)

= {(4752 x 3168) - (AB)}/(4752 x 3168)

You can check your cropped image dimensions and using this formula calculate how much you have cropped.

If the light was behind you, then the eye, underparts of the wings and the right wing would have been properly lit and more details would have come out.

The more you analyse your images, the better prepared you are.

Thanks for providing me the formula.Do you always find ideal condition to shoot ,particularly in wild life photography??? Not being the professional in this field,one can hardly wait for days after days to find the ideal condition to shoot images.Moreover there are differences in qualities between images shot with higher end equipments and basic equipments,apart from differences in ease of handling.Having said that ,It doesn't mean that your analysis was wrong.You are in fact much more experienced and knowledgeable in this field.Looking forward to more such tips & comments from you.:)

Satishchandra Ranadive
23-01-2011, 05:22 PM
It's Nice Picture.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-01-2011, 05:34 PM
There is no ideal condition in wildlife photography. One needs to understand the behaviour of the animals, birds etc better to predict their next move.

The best images are a result of visualising the situation. Too often we go on clicking. However, rather than following an animal, it is better to wait for it to move into better light or a better background with less distractions and then click. Ofcourse time is a constraint in some safaris.

Also, it is not necessarily high end equipment which gives the best results. The difference between a 1000D, 500D, 50D and and 1D series cameras are higher frame rate and a few bells and whistles and ofcourse the noise performance. People are using 1000D to win competitions. The trick lies in using the equipment within its limitations. For example if you are able to approach close to your subject (or allow your subject to approach you) then one can get a frame filling image with a wide angle or intermediate lens. That would result in good amount of details in the image as well.

I am giving a link to a superb image clicked by one of our members using a 1000D camera. Incidentally, he has learnt his photography here.

The Green Predator by Dr. Hari Venkatesh K R
http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4206

All this analysis and visualisation is to help us in being better prepared the next time we are in a similar situation.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi