PENTAX K 10D
PENTAX SMC DA* 300mmF4 ED(IF) SDM
Av mode
Spot Metering
Tv: 1/800 sec
Av: f/4
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Exposure Compensation: -0.3 EV

I was shooting the bird against the light, and somehow ended up getting this weirdly coloured yet pleasant background.

Vikram, this for you to compare and ID.

Cheers,
Aditya

Mohammed Raheel
18-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice Picture Aditya, the clarity and light is very good.

Sabyasachi Patra
18-03-2009, 02:50 PM
The wings have white borders. I think this is a paddyfield pipit. Sharp and Nice image. I know you were in your vehicle. But if you could have gone down lower then it would have been better as well. Positioning it slightly higher with more of the mound visible, would have been better as well.

Mrudul Godbole
18-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Nice sharp shot.

look forward to more.

Bibhav Behera
18-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Yup Paddyfield pipit for sure now :) . This angle shows it better. The dim glow in the background looks really nice..,

Kiran Ghadge
18-03-2009, 04:16 PM
thats really aweosme shot...looks great. I agree with Saby about angle

Udai Bisht
19-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Very sharp, very nice with a totally blurred BG. Great!

Rakesh Dhareshwar
19-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Lovely image, Aditya . Agree with SP on the angle.

Vikram Nanjappa
19-03-2009, 10:05 AM
It is a dogs job trying to identify birds from photographs ! This looks like a different bird to me ! It has a white line/ band below the eye which is missing in the first photograph. This looks like a Paddyfeild Pipit !

What was the habitat and behavior and size ? Cisticola is smaller , generally found in grassy area,perched on grass/ twigs , rarely seen on the ground. Has a typical up and down , up and down flight and makes a zit zit zit call as it flies.

Pipits are larger have an upright stance and are found on the ground ( rarely on a perch ) , most of the time walking around , not much of a flight ( only when disturbed or flushed out ).

Aditya Panda
19-03-2009, 12:28 PM
It is a dogs job trying to identify birds from photographs ! This looks like a different bird to me ! It has a white line/ band below the eye which is missing in the first photograph. This looks like a Paddyfeild Pipit !

What was the habitat and behavior and size ? Cisticola is smaller , generally found in grassy area,perched on grass/ twigs , rarely seen on the ground. Has a typical up and down , up and down flight and makes a zit zit zit call as it flies.

Pipits are larger have an upright stance and are found on the ground ( rarely on a perch ) , most of the time walking around , not much of a flight ( only when disturbed or flushed out ).

Lol! It sure as hell is, Vikram!

This guy was seen with his/her mate, walking up and down the road, taking dust baths and refusing to get scared of anything in the world. As you said, it had an upright stance and hardly flew. After the dust bath both birds got into an elaborate grooming session, always within 5-10 feet from me. Of course, had I been on foot, the flight distance would have been much larger. Perhaps they equate the car with some large bovine and are pretty comfortable with it around! In the previous image, the details around the bird's eye were missing as the feathers were ruffled, in this one they're there.

Cheers!