PDA

View Full Version : Scaly Breasted Munias

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Dear All,

I would like to share my observation on Scaly Breasted Munias, and I want expert’s opinion on the same.

During the month of October, November, December 2010, I regularly used to observe these small birds near my place and 6-8 pairs in my office premises.
I have seen them feeding, mating, nesting and also raising their young ones.
But from last one month I am not able to find a single one at these places where I used to regularly see.

Do these birds migrate or have they changed their location, I mean have they moved to a different place in search of food and shelter.

I used to see them feeding along with common house sparrows near my place, but even today these sparrows are still exit here , but scaly breasted Munias are not there.

Experts please provide your opinions on the same, and suggest me few tips which I can implement at my place to conserve these beautiful birds.

Regards,
Akshay

Sabyasachi Patra
11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Akshay,
I am not sure what would have happened as the Scaly-breasted Munia (Lonchura punctulata) is a resident species. Habitat loss and illegal trade are the major threats. In winter the juveniles form large flocks, so easily noticed. However, you seem to have noticed mating pairs with young. So I am not sure.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Akshay Kumar Manjunath
12-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Sabyasachi,

I agree with you about the habitat loss, i used to see them near lantana bushes.
But in the month of January the local residents have burnt all the bushes.and in the name of development the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) are cleaning all empty plots by cutting the bushes and unwanted plants.

Ill try to document their behavior when i spot them next time.

Regards,
Akshay