Patuli, Kolkata, India
on 29th january 2011
Pentax K5, Pentax DA L 55-300mm, Hand held

regards,

Arijit

Mrudul Godbole
11-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Welcome To IndiaWilds..!!

Nice first post. Cute bird. The perch and the eye contact is nice. A slight more head turn towards you would haev enhanced the eye contact further. Do post the aperture, ISO and shutter speed details to help in commenting. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Bhargava Srivari
11-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Dada,

This is a rocking first image! As Mrudul said, a little more head turn and this is a winner!

When will you get that 300mm f4 lens of yours out into the field? Waiting too see images from that glass:)

And dada, it would be great if you share the EXIF details with your images.

tfs

Bhargava

Arijit Banerjee
11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Mrudul.
Thanks for viewing. I should have shared the exif. my bad....

1/100 sec @300mm handheld
f5.8
ISO 500
+0.3 EV

Sri, Thanks yes head turn would really have been nice. Personally I feel the face is tad soft/ blurred.
The new one well hopefully will land up later in the month. I will keep you posted. (Anyone you know who is traveling to Kolkata in near future?)
Arijit

Sabyasachi Patra
11-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Nice first post. Good to see a Pentax user (for the sake of diversity :D as most of us are either Canon or Nikon users).

I agree that a slight head turn would have been better. A side on profile would have been good as that would have made the depth of field sufficient to cover the entire bird.

Else, a narrow aperture like f8 would have given higher depth of field. However, that would have required a higher ISO as shutter speed would have dropped. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Arijit Banerjee
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi. How correct and pointed you are!

The problem with imaging in Eastern India is the unpredictability of light. We jokingly love to say, when there is rain forecast in vrindavan, it gets cloudy in Kolkata. So high shutter speeds and small apertures often remain on the wish list but.... The high levels of SPM do not help a bit.

However, the new bodies with good high ISO performance even by APS C sensors are helping a lot. If my Kx was good, this K5 is brilliant in that issue.

The shortcomings in the image- are invariably my mediocrity.
As far as Pentax as a brand... well am addicted... and it cleans up very, very well....:p

Arijit

Tushar Dixit
11-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice capture! I liked the pose here. Wish the focus was on head, currently looks more on the body. BG is highlighted, not sure but would shifting towards left have helped get more greens?

Arijit Banerjee
11-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi Tushar. Thanks for viewing. yes, as i was mentioning to Srivari the focus is off and at this pose wide open... chances of a ***** up were major and that is whatt happened.

The BG is a wall.. welcome to urban birding. And any shifting left would lead to an advertisement for mens' underwear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arijit

Roopak Gangadharan
12-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Ha ha...This bg is better anyday sir. Nice details on the bird. Saw one 3 days ago .not a resident down south here, winter visitor.Seemed quite fearless.
TFS
Roopak

Arijit Banerjee
12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks Roopak..

and yes its a winter visitor.

Arijit