PDA

View Full Version : Black Ibis Family

Tushar Dixit
11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
We spent some nice time watching a Black Ibis family over the weekend. The Juv was determined to make its parents regurgitate the food. So it first requested in funny tone, then started beating the beak upon its parents and finally threw tantrums by spreading its wings and going around the parents in circles till the parents gave up. The similarity between it and human toddlers was surprising - guess when it comes to kids, tricks of the trade are same across the species :)

Clicked in Pune, EOS 7D, 500mm f/4 + 1.4x, f/10, 1/640, ISO 400, Handheld, Some cloning in the right BG to hide a black spot.

Mrudul Godbole
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice moment captured. The eye contact and the details are good. I am feeling just a bit more space at the bottom would be good. Its quite interesting to observe this attention seeking behaviour. Thanks for sharing the details.

Sabyasachi Patra
11-02-2011, 11:34 PM
It is always interesting watching the antics of the kids of any species. Nice moment captured. The birds with their beaks touching with each other create a pleasing shape. How long this begging or nagging for food lasted?

What is the blue band in the background? Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice image .The eye contact and details are excellent.Agree with mrudul on the space below. Thanks for the nice behaviour write up.

TFS
Roopak

Tushar Dixit
12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi Sabyasachi:

It was a family of 3. The juvenile started nagging the first individual but say for lack of patience that individual flew away. I assumed it to be the father as the second individual - most probably the mum - tolerated and also fed the juvenile for the majority of the time. The tantrums went on for about 10 minutes and the juvenile was successful in making the parents feed it. The juvenile looked pretty grown up so guess the parent's argument must have been - go get your own food! :)

The blue band in the BG is the stream of water.

Regards,
Tushar

Arijit Banerjee
12-02-2011, 04:22 PM
An evocative frame. Perfectly exposed. Personally I would have gone for a loser crop!

Thanks for sharing, Tushar.

Arijit

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
12-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Nice moment.Beautifully captured.TFS

Regards
Kalpa