PDA

View Full Version : Vulture wing spread

Sabyasachi Patra
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Photographed this in Ramanagar.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/500, full frame image.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Tushar Dixit
12-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Lovely wingspan captured, Sabyasachi! Aptly depicts the size of the bird with nice feather placements.

I would have opted for more space in front of the bird and less in the rear. In general a bit more space around would have added feel of its habitat. Reducing brightness and adding contrast may help too.

Bhargava Srivari
12-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Getting this pose must have taken some patience! I have a feeling that shifting the space on the rear of the bird to the front might get the 3-D punch to this image. Everything else is nice:)

tfs

Bhargava

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
13-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Nice wing spread.Is it egyptian?? Agree with Tussar about the space in front & reduction of brightness.TFS

Regards
Kalpa

Sabyasachi Patra
13-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Nice wing spread.Is it egyptian?? Agree with Tussar about the space in front & reduction of brightness.TFS

Regards
Kalpa

Sorry I forgot to mention in the original post. This is Gyps indicus. (Indian Vulture).

Mark the thick white neck-ruff. As compared to the slender-billed vulture (gyps tenuirostris) the Gyps indicus has a more rounded head and a thicker neck. The bill is also pale yellow and the claws are pale. The head has got very fine white hair (easly gets overexposed when we are trying to push the histogram to the right while clicking) as opposed to the slender-billed who have got hardly any feathers on head.

Tushar,

I agree that the image is a bit tight. I had connected the 2xTC on the 400mm to get the bird larger in the frame. When it spread its wings, I really struggled to fit the entire bird into the frame without clipping the wing tips. Infact, a few feathers in other images touched the frame or got clipped.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
13-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice wing spread. The eye contact is good. Nice details. Thanks for sharing.

Arijit Banerjee
13-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Nothing to add to what Sri and Tushar have said. A bit more contrasts perhaps...?

Arijit

Roopak Gangadharan
16-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Nice details on the wings.The image is symbolic of the birds future .."on the brink". wonder how many of the next gen will get to see and picture this magnificient bird.

TFS
Roopak