PDA

View Full Version : Tiger : Repost

Dipankar Mazumdar
25-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Dear All,
A repost of the preceding B&W image in colour. Widened the composition to include a part of the body and to push the dark spot in the tree on the right to the corner of the frame.

EOS 50D + 300 f4 IS L @ f8, 1/400, ISO 1250

Look forward to comments.

Dipankar

Sabyasachi Patra
25-03-2011, 11:36 AM
A tough scene to photograph. Its nice to see the tongue out. The good thing is that the head of the tiger is partially in light. Do you have more space on the right? Without the tree on the right, it would have been easy to compose. Composition wise, if there is a tree on the right or in the direction the animal is facing, then that acts as a block or stop. In that case, it is better to use that block( read tree) to use as a framing element. So your previous black and white post, with the vertical crop was in the right direction. I think using the 1.4x here and going for vertical would have been better.

In this horizontal composition, I wish the tree on the middle were more to the left ie on the left frame edge. The reason being, when the tree is curved, it acts as a framing element and our eye goes there. So in this case, it is towards the hind portion of the tiger.

Reducing the contrast and opening up the shadows a little bit may also improve the image.

If the sunlight had fallen on the eyes, then it would have been great, as the catchlight would have pulled our attention and strengthened the composition. Thanks for sharing.

People reading this comment can easily realise how difficult it is to create a pleasing composition of an animal in its habitat.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
25-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Quite difficult conditions to photograph. I agree with the detailed comments given by Sabyasachi. The b/w composition with the vertical framing gets the best out of this image. Thanks for sharing.