PDA

View Full Version : Filter

Ajit Joshi
28-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I am interested to know more about filter used in photography.
Different people have different opinions about filter. Many says filter is must and others says it is not required.
Is it required to have filter for lens. and if yes, of which type. Is it required for bird photography? How it helps to have better results?
Do our member have any photograph taken with and without filter to explain its use ?
Your guidance in this connection will be appreciated.
Regards,
Ajit

Sabyasachi Patra
28-03-2011, 09:47 PM
One of the most common filters used in photography is the UV filter. I used to use those for a long time. The common reason given by people is that if you drop your lens, the filter protects it. However, I disagree.

1) You have no business to drop a lens. The cameras and lenses are precision equipment. Dropping those means change in alignment and breaking of parts (at times). However, it happens at times. So one needs to be careful.

2) If you drop a lens and the UV filter hits the ground and breaks then it is more likely that the broken pieces will badly scratch or break your lens. Better to use a lens hood.

3) We pay a huge amount of money in buying a L series lens or other premium lenses. Why compromise the quality by attaching a cheap filter infront of it? Even a 1000-2000 rupees filter would be cheap as compared to a L series lens.

4) Often I find people happily using filters without caring to clean those. I often find those dirty. You will lose a lot of quality due to filters attached infront of a lens.

Filters for effects:
In earlier days, we used to add Red, blue, yellow and all kinds of filters. These days those filters are not needed as one can achieve those effects by changing the white balance.

Circular Polariser:
I do use those, at times. Infact, the circular polariser that I bought for my 400mm f2.8 L IS USM lens was a special order item which was not even available in Singapore. I had to get it from Japan. Having said that, I have used it in only a handful of occasions, as it requires light and the situation to be conducive ie. the angle of light as well as brightness. You lose a couple of stops in a circular polariser.

Graduated ND filter:
Important in landscapes. When the difference in brightness between the sky and land is much more, the sky can be overexposed while trying to correctly expose the subject/landscape. In such situations, one can use a Graduated Neutral Density filter with the dark part at the top to reduce the brightness of the sky. These filters are used a lot in filming as well. Some of the video cameras come with an inbuilt ND filter.

For bird photography you need long lenses and you just don't need any filters. Unless and untill you are trying to be creative.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi