70-300mm
1/250
f5.6
ISO 400
Handheld

Sabyasachi Patra
29-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Where was this photographed?

Even at 1/250 you have got this right and its not blurred. The eye contact is fine. The amount of crop and the cropped composition is not right. Can you post the full frame image so that we can suggest a alternate crop. The top portions looks empty and the hint of the flowers on the top right doesn't look great either. I am absolutely sure that the uncropped version would be much better.

I am sure if you are able to approach close or stay in a hide nearby or use a longer lens, then you would be able to get a cracker of a shot. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
29-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice colours and eye contact. While cropping you can lock the proportions, so it will be a proportionate crop. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
29-03-2011, 11:49 PM
With different crop composition

Sabyasachi Patra
30-03-2011, 09:44 AM
This is much better. However, I would still like to see a "loose" crop, if not the full frame. Please remember when you are cropping it exposes ability of the lenses to resolve details as well as the technique (sharpness etc). Same image if you click with a 300mm f4 L IS lens or a 400mm f5.6 L lens, the details will be better. So I would urge you to go for less of crop and more of habitat images. Your images are improving, but is limited by your lens (or your distance to the subject).

These birds visit flowering plants. So if you can set up a hide near by and wait you will surely get some close ups. keep trying. Patience is a virtue.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
02-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Nice image doc. The colours are fantastic...