PDA

View Full Version : River Tern

Mrudul Godbole
04-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Photographed this at Ranganathittu.

Canon 50D, 100-400mm L IS USM, 1/250, f7.1, ISO 200, hand held.

Comments and critiques welcome..

Sabyasachi Patra
04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Nice eye contact. From a distance it would be difficult to notice this bird if it is standing still due to the white colour merging with the bird droppings on the rock. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Nice perch & BG.Wish the eye was lighted.Selective reduction of highlights would be good.TFS

Bhargava Srivari
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Looks good compositionally..fine BG too! May I ask if the bg is naturally obtained or played with on photoshop? Because, it is quite tough to get such a bg at ranganthittu..that too at f7.1! You've done well to get the angle if this is natural:)

tfs

Bhargava

Mrudul Godbole
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

May I ask if the bg is naturally obtained or played with on photoshop? Because, it is quite tough to get such a bg at ranganthittu..that too at f7.1! You've done well to get the angle if this is natural:)

There is no cloning done. As per the rules mentioned in this forum, we need to mention while posting an image if any cloning was done. I use Lightroom and hardly do any cloning, except for removing dust spots if any. As cloning is not allowed in most of the photography contests, I avoid cloning. Just try to do my best in the field and keep it as natural as possible :-). Thanks for your comments.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Please check this news: Photographer thrown out of contest in America: "Altered and Misrepresented Images" - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2281)

The gentleman (???) in question was disqualified for entering cloned images in a competition.

One Reuters journalist did a cloning of an image and all his images was removed from reuters. In editorial usage clonig is a strict NO. Unfortunately, in India the editors have no idea about cloning and cloned images are used. In fact in one of the popular wildlife photography competitions in India, a cloned image was specially commended.

Ethics of people vary. Some choose to upload images with cloning and don't want to mention it. I am not asking people not to clone. Clone it if your ethics permit. However, please mention if you have cloned.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi and Mrudul for the clarifications:)

Sabyasachi Patra
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Bhargava,
To get a clean background you need to be careful about the distance between the subject and the background. For more details you can check this article: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roopak Gangadharan
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Very neatly done.The Bg is indeed fantastic.Nice work on the exposure as well.

TFS
Roopak