PDA

View Full Version : As is!

Bhargava Srivari
05-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Leopard|bandipur.

Shot this image late in the evening, under very poor lighting conditions.
Image taken at 100mm and is full-frame. I believe the frame depicts the overall feel of the sight best, in what images I have made:)

f5.6, SS 1/60sec, ISO 2000, EV -1
canon 60D
canon 100-400 L IS

Cheers

Bhargava

Sabyasachi Patra
05-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Bhargava,
It is always a lovely sight to watch a leopard lazing on the ground. Consider yourself fortunate.

The light was very low. And you have used a -1 EV. Normally you are supposed to choose an exposure so that the histogram is very close to the right. That gives the optimum exposure and maximum amount of details in the shadow areas.

The high ISO noise reduction feature seems to be turned on in your camera. Just switch it off.

Moving your camera a bit to the right would have strengthened the image as the bush would have been at the left edge of the frame and the leopard would have become offcentre in the image.

Which software did you use for processing? I am assuming you are shooting in RAW?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bhargava Srivari
05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I used -1 EV so as to achieve as high a shutter speed as possible! You can see that even at ISO 2000 and -1 EV, I got A SS of 1/60sec only! And yes, I was shooting RAW...the ISO NR was on at that time but switched it off since then:) I had used PS CS5 for processing.....will be great help if you can direct me to a page where I can learn more on exposure compensation settings:)

Cheers

Bhargava

Sabyasachi Patra
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
For correct exposure using histogram: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2006)

A bit more technical - Metering unravelled: Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970)

You can get sharp images with a 100-400 with IS on at 1/30 or 1/60 shutter speed. You need to focus on your technique. Of course, if someone is moving in the vehicle, then all these goes for a toss.

Mrudul Godbole
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Nice environment photograph. Sighting a leopard sitting peacefully on ground is very rare. Its good you zoomed out to include more of the surroundings, but in this case I would have preferred to zoom in a bit more to avoid the bush on the left as it doesn't add much to the image. Agree with Sabyasachi about an off-centered composition. Thanks for sharing.