PDA

View Full Version : Forest on Fire

Sabyasachi Patra
22-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I was documenting a forest set on fire by villagers. A tigress with small cubs had killed a cow. The angry villagers of Kolsa had set fire to the forest. They are resisting relocation from Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve due to a dispute on compensation. Several hundred hectares were decimated due to this fire.

Look forward to your interpretation of the scene as well as the comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

EXIF details: Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS lens, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/125th sec.

Mohammed Raheel
23-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Sad incident.
The tiger is not to be blamed nor are the villagers.
For the Tiger the cattle is food and for the villagers, its their means of livelihood.
The burnt trees in the pictures must have taken decades to come up to this size, providing shelter/balance to numerous species of plants and animals.

Mrudul Godbole
23-03-2009, 10:29 AM
It is really unfortunate to have fires like this destroying the eco-system.

Raheel, I agree it is not the tiger's fault, since he hunts the prey he gets. But about the villagers I wont say that they cant be blamed, since they are well aware that burning the jungle is not going to help the situation. They would have problems with the forest department for the relocation, but this is not the way to protest.

But this kind of unfortunate things happen a lot in India, whoever's fault it is the jungles are getting destroyed.

Mohammed Raheel
23-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah, the villagers should not behave this cruelly towards the jungle,,,
If they burn them down, their cattle wont have grazing grounds due to lack of rainfalls arising due to lack of jungle,,,
I fear our children will not be able to see the wildlife we see today, which is not what our forefathers saw :)

Sabyasachi Patra
23-03-2009, 10:53 AM
This photo was from last year. A major part of the village has taken the relocation package offered to them. However about 80 odd families haven't taken the package. The package is given as per an undivided household. If a son separates from his father and sets up a hut few feet away from his fathers hut, then he will be counted as an independent entity for compensation and get 2 lakhs. Else, father and son combined will get 2 lakhs. So people are complaining. The forest department is not at fault. They have been taking up this issue with the revenue department.

When a cattle is killed the forest department gives compensation. Even though they get compensation, the villagers set fire to the forest. That is unpardonable and simply can't be defended. Unfortunately, in India, prosecuting a person is not easy. Proving a crime becomes difficult. So people get away with it.