PDA

View Full Version : Python in Water

Mrudul Godbole
23-03-2009, 12:42 PM
This was the first time I photographed a python in water. It had eaten, and so it was quite slow in its movement.

When I started photographing, it stopped and just popped its head above the water as in the shot.

Canon 50D, 100-400mm IS USM lens, f7.1, ISO 320, 1/30.

Mohammed Raheel
23-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Nice capture,, seldon do you see a python in water.
The reflection of the nose in water and flickering tongue adds to the effect.

BTW, is that your reflection is his eye? Looks liike 2 human figures :)

Rajan Kanagasabai
23-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Nice Shot Mrudul

BTW, where was this one photographed ?

Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
23-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Nice image. The shot is sharp even at 1/30th shutter speed, however the tongue is blurred due to the slow shutter speed.

Mrudul Godbole
23-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the comments, photographed this one in Bharatpur.

Raheel - Thanks, thats a minute observation, I hadnt noticed the reflection in the eye,maybe the python was looking at us too :)

Mohammed Raheel
24-03-2009, 09:23 AM
:) Hope he was not considering you guys as a meal :)

Reminds me of a python attack on a group of yungsters who went to jungle in the night, parked it underneath a huge tree to have some drinks.
Thuddd,, came down a python on the rear of their open gypsy. Lucky it missed them.
I read pythons at times aim and drop themselves on mammals grazing underneath the tree.

Sabyasachi Patra
24-03-2009, 09:44 AM
It is a misconception that they attack humans. I have been about 1.5 feet to 2 feet close to Pythons. The important things is to understand their body language. They can give you a nasty bite as well. There have been instances of over enthusiastic photographers with 50mm lens moving close to them and getting a nasty bite.

They can't chase. So they lie down at a place and play the waiting game. And when the moment arrives they can be swift. Attacking humans is rare and unheard of (except in Hindi movies). They do attack smaller mammals. Even known to swallow deer.

Ranbir Mahapatra
24-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Nice observation about animal behaviour and "apna" film industry.

I have seen cobras transform to beautiful damsels, apply allopathic antibiotic ointment to the distressed progenies of snake loving people. Monkeys & more often labradors comfortably zip around in open top cars, realistically swinging at each hairpin turn. Indian undivided family have accepted verdict of a pomerian dog while playing cricket. Elephants have been known to be excellent midwives & care trakers. The winner of course is a movie in which I wtinessed 3 snakes actually playing drums, flute and an electric guitar. And before you say "boooo", let me assure you the "snake band" were not out of tune.

I agree with Sabyasachi. Maneating Big Cats and human bone crunching pythons are at times true, but only half so. Wildanimals attack when provoked. They follow their instinct. Hence, if a python is hungry and we exhibit ourselves right underneath its nose, its bound to attack.

Mrudul Godbole
24-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes I was quite close to this one when I took this shot, but I am aware of the fact that animals dont attack unless provoked and you maintain safe distance.

Ranbir - Our film industry has really degraded these animals by making them do things which are not natural.It is good that, that trend is over now. I would like to admire your patience to view the films you have mentioned :)

Ranbir Mahapatra
24-03-2009, 02:50 PM
My curiosity always got the better of me!