PDA

View Full Version : Mother (& Baby) in the making . . .

Rajan Kanagasabai
23-03-2009, 04:22 PM
During a recent visit to the IIT Campus, this mother to be, was surrounded by 6 stray dogs (the domestic roadside mongrels). She had a lame left leg, could hardly move and she just did not have a chance.

I had no option but to unclamp my Monopod and swing it around to shoo these mongrels away. We reported this to the security guards who promptly set about chasing the dogs out and also promised that she would be closely monitored untill the delivery.

This was the gratifying look immediately after the dogs were gone . . . . . i'll treasure this moment forever, even at the cost of maybe crossing the line, in terms of interfering with natures course (love to have your views on this topic as well as the photograph).

I also have no way to confirm if she did make it through, apart from hoping and praying she did . . . !

400D, Canon 100-400 L, F6.3, 1/10 Shutter (Monopod), ISO 200

Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
23-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Rajan,
We say nature will take its own course. However, that is related to wild animals. It is not meant in the context of feral dogs. In this case I would have intervened as you did. A little bit of protection towards the animals and the habitat will be a big help.

She looks heavily pregnant. I would have gone for a vertical or horizontal with its legs intact. However, in the excitement, I might have forgotten to click even. :-)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rajan Kanagasabai
23-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi

I've been loosing sleep over this for a couple of days (on crossing the line . . )

In fact, i have seen wild dogs surround a helpless deer in Kabini and were biting chunks off the backside when she was fully alive and kicking (if i remember right, Vikram was with me on that trip, when my 40D gave up and i was cursing my stars . . .).

I did not have any emotions like what i went through at IIT, though it was much more gory and cruel.

Anyways, good to take this off my mind and thanks again.

Rajan

Mrudul Godbole
23-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Such moments can surely make you to think.I would agree with Sabyasachi, that it was good that you intervened, I would have done the same if i was in your place.She surely looks thankful.

Good shot.

Mohammed Raheel
24-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Rajan,
The expressions in her eyes speak a lot about your kindness towards her.
I am sure this picture will make you feel good each time you will look at it.
As Saby said, interfering with nature should be abstained in the wild not with stray dogs attacking a hapless poor creaure.
What you did was instinctive and appreciable :)
Cheers

Chitrita Chatterjee
08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
What beautiful gentle eyes.... I would treasure this moment....
Glad u pushed the mongrels away.....
saby is right.... the ways of the wild must not be interfered with.. but this isnt one of those cases... and you did what any of us would have done...!!
I do hope this Lady survived, and the baby too.... :-)