PDA

View Full Version : Bison in solitude

Uma Kathyayini
20-04-2011, 09:01 PM
This was shot in BR hills wildlife sanctuary.
Camera- canon1000D
aper: f/7.1
shutter:1/41 sec
ISo-800

Praveen Siddannavar
20-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Lovely sighting of the Indian Gaur, always mistaken for Bison in India. BRT can provide excellent sightings of these gaurs especially if it is a large herd. There is some shake and noise in background. Always try and use some support while shooting, you may use bean bag or monopod. About 18 months ago I too have passed thru this learning curve. You will get there soon, stay connect with Indiawilds regularly:)
tfs

Uma Kathyayini
20-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks praveen
what is the difference between gaur and bison?, I was in the safari jeep when took this shot.

Mrudul Godbole
20-04-2011, 09:26 PM
The composition is nice, with the tree on the right framing the image. The light seems to be quite bad, you had already raised the ISO to 800 but still the shutter speed was only 1/40. So as Praveen has suggested you could have used a tripod or beanbag or just rest the camera on something to minimise the shake. Good hand holding techniques can help to get sharp photographs at such low shutter speeds. Keep photographing. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
21-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Uma,
Bison are found in America and a few are still left in Europe. The europeans had mistaken the gaur for a bison and the name has stuck till date. The Bison (scientific name: Bison bison) belongs to a different genus and species. The Gaur (scientific name: Bos gaurus) belongs to the genus Bos.

The animal in the photograph is a gaur (scientific name: Bos gaurus). We have Wild Buffaloes as well in Assam and a few are left in chattishgarh (of course their genetic purity is doubtful).

The buffaloes you see in the towns and cities have evolved from the Wild Buffalo.

Sabyasachi

Uma Kathyayini
21-04-2011, 06:10 PM
thanks for the reply. . Your knowledge about the subject is amazing.

Bhargava Srivari
21-04-2011, 09:17 PM
This is a nice sighting, with the greens all around. I guess a wider aperture would have worked better say f5.6 or f6.3 if it was available with your lens..that would have given you a higher shutter speed:)

V S Sankar
22-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I also agree that a tripod is a must in these conditions.Most often while we sight wild animals it is late in the evenings and the light is tricky.

It was Sabya who taught me also the difference between Gaur and Bison.I was also thinking Gaur to be Bison.....

Regards