PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette

Sabyasachi Patra
24-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I was experimenting with the morning sun. What do you think about this?

ISO 400, Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, f25, 1/8000, EV: - 1 2/3

Bibhav Behera
24-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Outstanding. I like the pose of the bird and the sun just behind it. The 1/8000 capability of the Mk II is amazing :O . That has subdued the highlight of the sun thereby bringing out the silhouette pretty sharp even on the sun side... Good composition... :)

Sabyasachi Patra
24-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Bibhav,
I would like to add that I could have used ISO 100 in this scene. There was no need to use ISO 400. I just missed changing the ISO for this scene.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ranbir Mahapatra
24-03-2009, 11:32 PM
A highly provocative image.

The golden rim, the silhouette achieved are commendable. Very apt use of shutter speed, exposure bias and the aperture.

The artists depiction of organgish-black gradual tint of the backgroud sky is surprising. A uniform orange tint might not have been possible, perhaps because of color temperature variance around the sun. But would a higher exposure bias have helped? For that matter a lower shutter speed...Capturing a tad more light might have warmed the image.

Especially at the top of the image, the darkness intensifies. Is the artist depicting a gloomy, sombre morning through this color tone?

The golden rim. I notice it and appreciate it, because, I know about the "golden rim". But for a layman, isn't the brilliance of the sun hogging more limelight than the rim? Plus, the rim is towards the upper torso (right) of the bird; the tail feather is just that; tail feather. The perch strangely lynches the torso and the tail.

The Sun and the perch. The perch here divides the sun. I would have liked to see the bird exclusively doing this framing than the perch. Even if the perch was used to cut the sun intentionally, I would have preferred a much thinner or a much more interesting perch.

The brilliance of the sun is drawing me into the image and the perch having occupied a considerable part of the sun could have been better represented in the image.

The Bird. A full side profile would have been more pleasing & impactful than this pose. On the other hand, this pose, aptly tells me that its dawning and the bird has just come out of its roost and grooming itself...a common behaviour with birds. Hence, it does have excellent behavioural impact.

The Bird and the Sun: I will echo my thoughts again. Why bird, sun and the perch? Were they ALL integral to the image? Could the line of shooting be any higher? Could the impact of the perch been lessened?

I feel, the silhouette without the Sun would have made the bird the cynosure here. At the same time, it might have made the image banal! We have seen so many silhouette shots in the past!

In conclusion, I would like to say that, the image is a bold attempt. The artist has tried to strike a balance between two strong subjects, the sun and the bird. Different viewers would have different opinions. For me, its an interesting, deep albeit a tad temperamental depiction of the sun and the bird.