PDA

View Full Version : Tawny coaster

Bhargava Srivari
21-04-2011, 09:11 PM
A tawny coaster shot at osmania university this evening. Incidentally, this is the first image ofa butterfly I've made:)
Hope it doesn't look ugly:)

f5.6, 1/400sec, ISO 200, EV 0, 400mm.
canon 60D
canon 100-400 L IS

Abhishek Jamalabad
22-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice one. Nicely composed. I like the diagonal position of the butterfly. The smooth BG complements it. I think you needed a little more DOF to cover the head and antennae completely. Some noise is visible, why so at ISO 200?

400mm is a very useful focal length for clicking butterflies, as many of them are too skittish to approach easily with a macro lens :). Look forward to more of these.

Bhargava Srivari
22-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks Abhishek. I can see some noise too..may be because this one is a 25% crop! It was very cloudy and had started drizzling...I wanted to take some cover before the equipment got wet! So didn't go close enough to be able to compose it full-frame:( I even tried a few shots at f6.3 and f7.1 to get better DoF but the BG looked odd on them!

Cheers

Bhargava

Mrudul Godbole
23-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Good to see you are trying macros :). The composition is nice. I agree with Abhishek, maybe moving more to the right would have helped to get it a bit more parallel to the sensor. The clean background enhances the image further. Look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
25-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I agree with the previous comments. I like the composition. It would have been great if the out of focus stem/branch on the left corner in the background was not there. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi