PDA

View Full Version : Stink Bug

Abhishek Jamalabad
24-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Stink Bug

A common bug belonging to the Pentatomidae (shield bug) family.
Produces a foul-smelling liquid from glands between the first 2 pairs of legs, this liquid is used to deter predators. The proboscis, used for piercing and sucking plant juices, is visible in this image, folded up against the abdomen. Considered a pest when present in very large numbers.

Canon EOS 500D + Canon EF100mm macro USM
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/200
Av 16.0
ISO 400
Flash On

Full frame image, handheld.
Processed in Lightroom 3

Do you think this needed more DoF (for the abdomen)? I was reluctant to go narrower than f16. Had focused manually on the head.
Thanks, comments and critiques awaited.

Bibhav Behera
25-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Lovely image Abhishek. The body is well in focus due to the flat angle to the sensor. The DOF covers it well. Thanks for sharing. Good to see you making good use of the lens. how is your neck btw? ;)

Roopak Gangadharan
25-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Excellent image and nice description.Nice colours and details.
TFS
Roopak

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks Bibhav and Roopak.

Bibhav: Yes, my neck is better, but only for now... I expect it to go sore again once I have another macro session. :p Subjects everywhere, so I just cant stop looking down... :)

Sabyasachi Patra
25-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Great to see image of this one. I remember accidentally catching one and repenting..those were the childhood wild days... :D

This has come out well. A higher depth of field would have been great to get more details infront of it ie. to cover its legs. However, this is nice as well. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
25-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi.
I think the legs would have required something like f22 or so, but I thought it might make the image go soft. I have a few other shots with more DoF because they were clicked from a distance, but I liked this 1:1 image the most :).
I have never had any unpleasant experiences with these bugs... not even while handling them. Am curious to know what it smells like :p.

Mrudul Godbole
26-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Lovely colours and details. The black background enhances the subject further. Thanks for sharing the information. Look forward to more.