PDA

View Full Version : indian roller

Jitendra Katre
24-04-2011, 08:31 AM
canon 550d,tamron 200-500,f/9, 1/125,iso-400

Abhishek Jamalabad
24-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice eye contact. The lighting would have been better with the sun behind you (of course you cant do anything about that). Wish the OOF branches were absent. It looks a little oversharpened to me.
TFS

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
24-04-2011, 09:54 AM
This seems to be a good lens.I have seen few images of you by this lens before.It has given almost professional quality image.How good is the AF and how good is this for Handholding? TFS

Jitendra Katre
24-04-2011, 12:43 PM
thanks friends...
Dr.Kakati- i have been using this lens for about two years. it works best from aperture f/8 to f/14 (even at f/6.3 it is not bad), focusing speed is not impressive,from 450mm onwards fringing becomes a issue ,but up to 450mm it's very good.can be used handheld (nowadays i prefer not to use any lens without support). despite it's limitations i love this lens.i also posses canon 400mm prime, but somehow i find myself using tamron more..

Shreeram M.V
25-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Good one Dr.Jitendra! Nice light and eye contact.

The image, however, appears a bit grainy possibly due to ISO 400. How much of a crop is this? Just curious, but couldn't you have used ISO 200 and f/6.3 or f/7.1? It also appears to be mildly overexposed; did you do any exposure correction when you processed? Also, I see a faint pink tinge in the picture.

Jitendra Katre
25-04-2011, 08:27 AM
thanks Shreeram M.V.,..as i said the lens works best at f/8 and above, the light was pretty low, therefore iso400 was must, apart from this some noise may have crept in while sharpening.. i think slightly overexposed branch made you think about overexposure, but i had metered for the bird which i think has come out well. i cannot really comment on the pink tinge because my monitor doesn't show it.....thanks for the time spent to evaluate this image...

Sabyasachi Patra
25-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I like the composition. Wish the branch at the bottom didnt overlap on the Indian roller. I agree with Abhishek and Shreeram. Reducing the exposure slightly/increasing the contrast enhances the image. There are some sharpening artifacts visible as well as a slight pink tint. (I must confess that initially when I had shifted to digital, I was liking the pink tints :D as well as making the images yellow so that the image appears being taken in warm light etc etc )

Calibrating a monitor periodically is good. I am using a Spyder 2 Pro

Knowing the limitations of the equipment is very important. Without that it becomes difficult to get optimum quality. Quality comes at a cost. The original lenses cost a lot. So third party lenses are often a good compromise. Knowing the limitations and using them accordingly will make the images shine.

I am happy that you are using some form of support. The reason being in the current high mega pixel cameras, support helps in sharpness of the images. One should remember that unless the image is sharp, a lot of mega pixels is wasted.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Jitendra Katre
25-04-2011, 07:25 PM
thanks friends....