PDA

View Full Version : Grey-breasted Laughingthrush or Kerala Laughingthrush

Shreeram M.V
25-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Species: Grey-breasted Laughingthrush or Kerala Laughingthrush (Garrulax jerdoni fairbanki)

Family: Timaliidae
Place: Munnar, Kerala
Date: Apr 22, 2011

Camera gear: Canon 7D with Canon 300mmf4IS and 1.4x TC, Handheld

Technical details:
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/200s
ISO: 200

Jitendra Katre
25-04-2011, 08:29 AM
lovely details and colours...

Mrudul Godbole
25-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Lovely perch and eye contact. The colours are nice. The background gives a nice feel of its habitat. Thanks for sharing.

Roopak Gangadharan
25-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Nice image shriram saab.Eye contact, sharp with good details.

I think this is now Strophocincla fairbanki. This seems to be the nominate (Strophocincla fairbanki fairbanki ). The other race Strophocincla fairbanki Meridionalis is supposed to have a shorter grey supercilia.

TFS
Roopak

Bhargava Srivari
25-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Good pose...the details came out nice. Sharp and contrasty...great shot.

tfs

Bhargava

Sabyasachi Patra
25-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Nice image.

I checked my copy of Birds of South Asia, The Ripley Guide by Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C. Anderton. Reproducing relevant details.

Trochalopteron fairbanki

A relatively small laughingthrush, with plain dark greyish-brown crown and narrow brown eye-stripe white supercilium above greyish cheek, throat (including chin) and upper breast with rusty-chestnut flanks and vent, has fine brown streaks on whiter centre of throat and upper breast. Bill browner (less black) than in Black-chinned. Juvenile similar to adult but (in fairbanki) has more uniform, browner throat and breast.

Variation Marked. Nominate of the S W Ghats from Palghat Gap south to the Achancovil Gap has long white supercilium, dark brown crown, medium brown upperparts, grey-tinged throat and breast weakly striped brown, and solid rufous chestnut belly. In extreme S Kerala (South of c.9 0N ) meridionale has paler brown crown, shorter supercilium (ending above eye), much greyer upperparts, white centre of belly (sharply demarcated from chestnut flanks and vent), and more prominent dark streaks on whiter centre of throat and breast.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shreeram M.V
26-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments :)