shot at kokkare bellur.
camera- canon 1000d
apr: 9
shutter: 1/2000
iso-800
hand held and unedited:

Sabyasachi Patra
25-04-2011, 10:45 PM
The sky colour has come out well. Excluding the painted stork near the left frame edge would have been good. You could have used a lower ISO. Higher shutter speed is required to capture motion say a bird in flight. In this case, since you were clicking birds perched, you could have used a much lower shutter speed and ISO. ISO 400 would have given 1/1000 th of second shutter speed and ISO 200 would have given 1/500th. Lower ISO means less noise (grains) in the image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Uma Kathyayini
26-04-2011, 05:53 AM
somehow I always ended up using higher ISO. As suggested I will experiment with other settings.In this image exposure compensation is -0.3. IF I use lower ISO, will it not cause lower shutter speed and imaged getting still darker?

Shreeram M.V
26-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Nice one Uma. The skies are beautiful. May be you could also have just chosen one Painted Stork and done a vertical composition to include more skies in the picture. A thought for another day in the field :)

True, a lower ISO means a slower shutter speed. But as Sabyaschi pointed out, at ISO 200 you'd get 1/500s shutter speed - which is really good for handheld photography. My rule of thumb is if I get 1/100s, I am good to go on most shots (except when the bird is moving or flying, where it would be 1/1000s).

Since the shutter speed reduces with a lower ISO, the amount of light entering the camera wouldn't change. So the image will be as bright as this one.

Mrudul Godbole
26-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice environment photograph. Excluding the stork on the left would enhance the composition further. Agree about the ISO, just check your shutter speed and decide about the ISO, so the noise is less. Look forward to more. Thanks for sharing.

Uma Kathyayini
26-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the evaluation and good tips. this is a real motivation to do better next time.

Abhishek Jamalabad
26-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Agree with the above suggestions. Lovely poses and colours here.
TFS