PDA

View Full Version : Purple or Lotens's Sunbird?

Praveen Siddannavar
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
I was at a friends resort that is under construction, at Thodihalli Village near Kundapura in Udupi district. I was happy to sight quite a few birds resident in his resort, I shot this sunbird at his resort. I also had opportunity to go for Scuba Diving at Netrani islands during this trip.

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D, 500mm + 1.4x TC
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/320
Av( Aperture Value ) 8
ISO 6400
Focal length 700mm
Cropped for compo
Bean Bag Support

Bhargava Srivari
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Scuba diving!!! Super stuff Praveen sir..I notice that in the changed profile picture:)

This one looks very much like the purple sunbird to me....I guess the lotten's sunbird's face region is slightly greenish.

The composition is nce..wish you had moved to the right slightly to avoid the OOF twif in front of the bird's body. The details are nice too...but ISO 6400?

tfs

Bhargava

Praveen Siddannavar
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Bhargava for comments and pointing out on the ISO. Pl read it as 640

Sabyasachi Patra
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I think it is Purple sunbird male (Cinnyris asiaticus). The Loten's Sunbird is slightly bigger than the Purple Sunbird and has a longer bill and it is more curved as well.

The Exif details says f8, 1/320, ISO 640. You got it nice despite the relatively low shutter speed of 1/320. Reducing the contrast a bit will be better.

The eye contact is nice. Last year, we had seen these sunbirds in ranthambhore in the resort and I had taken a few images in my N97. :D I think Sagar and Nikhilesh were also clicking, but not sure what happened to those images.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dr. Kalpamoi Kakati
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Beautiful bird & shot.Colours have come out really well.Wish the out of focus branch in the front was not there.TFS

Mrudul Godbole
01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Nice colourful image. Good eye contact. I liked the composition and the details. The flowers on the left look nice. Thanks for sharing.

Subramanniyan Mani
04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Very colourful image.....TFS