PDA

View Full Version : trip report

Bhargava Srivari
09-05-2011, 10:29 AM
A black-naped hare shot at bandipur last week.

canon 60D, canon 100-400 L IS, bean bag support
f5.6, SS 1/250sec, ISO 400, EV -0.3, 400mm, 6:15pm.

It was a disappointing trip in terms of sightings- but the forest was unusually green, making it very beautiful:)

For anyone with a 600mm reach, it would have been one helluva lovely trip- we had seen so many birds that we never had seen before in bandipur! The white-bellied woodpecker, small minivets, tickell's blue flycatcher, indian pitta, orange-headed thrush, blue bearded bee eater, asian paradise flycatchers, changeable hawk eagle, serpent eagle, flameback woodpeckers, brain fever bird and not to forget common species of the bushcats, bee eaters, pipits, robins! The icing on the cake was the sight of yellow-footed pegions mating! From the mammals, there was nothing much- no tigers, no leopards...but bigger than them all- the leopard cat at 8:30 in the night on the ooty road:) So bad that I didn't manage even a record shot- it was gone before I could focus:(

Sabyasachi Patra
09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Good that you saw it in the open. Wish you were a bit more to the left. Not sure if you could have moved/asked the vehicle to move back as the hare could have run away.

I like their ears. :)

For birds even 600mm/800 mm can be less. In Bandipur we often keep on moving ahead in search of tiger leaving behind the beautiful birds. Waiting for a few minutes will definitely increase the chances of photographing the birds. As far as large carnivore like tiger or leopard is concerned, no one can be guarantee a sighting. We can only depend upon the signs and interpret those and hope for the tiger to show up. Time and patience is often a factor in being able to see a tiger or not. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice environment photograph. Its quite rare to sight them in the open. The long ears look good. I agree moving to the left would have increased the eye contact and distractions infront of it would have been avoided. Look forward to the bird photographs from your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
10-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Nice shot Bhargava, it is rare to get this hare:laugh: in open
tfs

Roopak Gangadharan
11-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Nice image.Getting pics of these guys is not easy as they are mostly nocturnal. wish this was closer.

TFS
Roopak