PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Wild Life & Nature Film Making

Subhransu Satpathy
13-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi.. am subhransu from School of film & media sciences , Bhubaneswar, Odissa, Doing 1st ever Bachelor Degg in Film & Television Production Specialize in Cinematography, Have already done a loot documentaries just like - Archeological Survey of India, Multi camera setup in Delhi C.M. Program, Governor Program, also work as a sports camera man in cricket Premier League online program etc, but want to make different, i am very much interested in WILD LIFE & NATURE FILM MAKING, but no idea from where to start....

Please help me...

With Regards :
Subhransu Satpathy
Photographer & Cinematographer,
Bhubaneswar, Odisha.

Mrudul Godbole
13-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Subhransu,

Welcome to IndiaWilds...!!!

Nice to know about you. Since you are a student, you may have access to lot of equipments, which camera or video camera you use for filming.
So how did you plan to get into wildlife photography? You interested in wildlife?

Cheers,

Subhransu Satpathy
14-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Dear Mrudul
Am really thankful to your responding, Yes sir am a student next year my course is over, we are the first ever Cinematography Degg. holder in all over India, am using SONY- Z7,Z5, PD170, & some other, I want to start filming in between, & about equipment i have no idea thats why i want all of yours suggestion, & also very much interested to assist in these filming.

Thank you.
Subhransu

Sabyasachi Patra
22-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Subhranshu,

Why do you want to do wildlife filming? What attracts you to wildlife filming? Is it the glamour?

Since you are a cinematography student, you should be knowing about various formats of cameras etc. So I am not talking about those here.

You should also read this: Mark IV Review: Part III – Video - Indiawilds: Land of the Tiger. Conservation, Wildlife Photography, Communities (http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3964)

It details the kind of equipment a newbie needs. That was written more to educate people.

Wildlife filming is changing a lot. Filming in general is being revolutionised due to the advent of large sensor DSLRs. Since you are a beginner, we are not discussing about cameras that would set you back by 20-30000 USD. Nor will I advise that unless you have a sponsor.

1. My first advice is use whatever equipment you can lay your hands on or you are able to buy.

2. If you want to do wildlife filming, then decide on the subject that you want to take up. The subject should be based on
a) the need of the hour. That is if you feel there is some issue or cause to be taken up, then do it.
b) the subject can be anything which is close to your present location, so that you can spend more time filming it. For eg, if you want to film snow leopards, then you know how often you can go and film.
c)the subject can be something which is close to your heart.

If you are not passionate about the topic, then it will show up. Do lot of research on the topic that you want to select. Then go ahead and do it.

You also need to understand the film making techniques. For eg. I think they would be teaching you about cinematography techniques. You will get an idea about composition. Nevertheless, first start by taking small clips and review it. You will get an idea where you stand.

To demonstrate your capability create a show reel. From those clippings, one can get an idea as to how good you are with the present equipment. Remember, it is not just equipment. Film making is about telling a story. Most of the people forget that. Try that and then you will realise a lot about your abilities.

As far as film making career is concerned, there is no magic button. It is about your learning, hard work and tons of struggle. One may not get the right break. However, it would be important to keep in mind the ultimate goal and work towards it. For eg. I have mentioned a lot of equipment in the previous link, however, one need not buy those expensive tripods and fluid heads to start filming. You need to understand the limitations of the equipment you possess and try to tell the story accordingly.

It is good to become an assistant of some one, if that is possible. However, film making is a costly affair. So becoming a paid assistant would be difficult unless you help the NGC team.

Will write more later. Am just too tired now after a hard day's editing. When you are filming in 1080p, it takes a lot of time and resources to edit. Later on I will write in detail once my film is ready.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi