PDA

View Full Version : Flying Lizard/Male#1

Praveen Siddannavar
18-05-2011, 09:04 PM
We were having breakfast and our naturalist Jade Swamy of Gorukana Resort, BR Hills spotted this Flying Lizard from the restaurant. When he first pointed towards the tree trunk, for a while I couldn't spot the lizard as it was camouflaged so well, later a vibrant yellow horn-like, conical member was displayed only then I could spot it. I have few more images to share will do it in a day or two.

Abhishek appreciate it if you can provide more info on this:001_smile:

Camera Model Canon EOS 7D, 500mm + 1.4x TC
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/400
Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1
ISO 1250
Focal length 700mm
EC - 0.7
Almost full frame
Bean Bag Support

Mrudul Godbole
18-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Wow nice to see a flying lizard. Nice composition. Its good you could photograph the yellow member. The textures on the bark look nice. I am not sure, but do check the AF point, as the focus seems to be locked on the bark. Look forward to more in the series. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Draco dussumieri. More info here- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_dussumieri
Great to see an image of this species. Nicely framed and captured. The throat flap is erected by the male as a courtship display, so there was probably a female around as well. Did you get any shots with the wing membranes visible?
Watching them in flight is a real treat. Hope to see some in-flight shots next time ;).

TFS, look forward to more in this series. Nice to see you posting in the "others" section as well. :)

Praveen Siddannavar
19-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks Mrudul and Abhishek.

Abhishek - you're right the yellow throat flap is the courtship display and I was lucky to shoot both male and female, as it happens with humans the male was chasing the female with yellow throat flap display;)
Also I like macro photography too, but don't find the time and I also need to buy a specialized lens for it.

Any suggestions on Macro lens that suits the 7D

But as I said very hard to spot these, since they are very well camouflaged.

Mrudul Godbole
19-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Any suggestions on Macro lens that suits the 7D

Praveen, you can go for Canon 100 mm f2.8 IS. A very good macro lens. Abhishek is also using this lens, so he can also vouch for it :).

Bibhav Behera
19-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Agree with the comments above. The textures on the bark look good however as pointed out the focus seems to have locked on it rather than on the draco. The backlit flap of skin looks good.

PS: You can definitely go for the 100mm f/2.8 Macro. Its a gem of a lens. Silent, fast, smooth and tack sharp.

Abhishek Jamalabad
19-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Canon 100 mm f2.8 IS

Mrudul, I am using the non-IS version.

Sabyasachi Patra
22-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Good to see this species. I don't think anyone had posted this before. I am not sure if this fellow will wait for a closer approach with a 100mm macro. I guess during courtship, you can sneak in close. Look forward to more in this series.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi